It’s About Bloody Time

I’m doing the happy dance right now.

We finally got the call today that Vista’s been assigned to a neurologist and we go meet with him on Tuesday (Aug 11). It will be so nice to finally get some of our questions answered. Like could her hydrocephalus be affecting her balance. Should we be concerned about her seizures. Are their any concerns about her bumping her head due to the existing hydrocephalus and brain malformations.

This appointment has been a long time coming. We’ve known since Vista was 6 months old that she had a neurological issue. It took us until she was 18 months to convince the doctor of that and get him to order the MRI. We finally got the MRI in March, results in April and have been waiting, waiting, waiting, since then to get into see a neurologist.

As much as I love the free (most of the time) health care in Canada, if we were in the US we would have seen a specialist months ago. So, say what you will, but give me the option of private health care.

15 Responses to It’s About Bloody Time

• Lu ~ @masmom says:

Wow Jenn I had NO idea it worked that way. I am so sorry you guys have had to fight so hard on that. That makes the story about the other doctor even worse, if that’s possible.
    Anyway I am so glad that you guys will be able to ask some qustions and hopefully get some helpful information. HUGS
    .-= Lu ~ @masmom´s last blog ..That Afternoon =-.

Thanks. It really does get frustrating sometimes. For example, if we don’t like this neurologist, too bad, so sad. There’s no option to switch. On the other hand it’s free, so… yeah.

• Cara says:

Halleeffinglujah that Vista is finally getting into the doctor. I’m so glad you guys got the call & that she’s getting in so damn quick. I hope the doc can get something figured out for you guys & that V gets the treatment she needs.
    .-= Cara´s last blog ..Beans & Ham Muffins =-.

I’m hoping so too. It’s not even really about treatment at this point, but just getting some of our questions answered so we know how to (better) deal with things and to give us an idea of what we can expect for the future.

• I’m doing the happy dance for you!

I’m sorry about the healthcare situation, tho. I don’t know what’s worse: free healthcare (with waiting) or no healthcare at all (like me most of my life).

Good luck, keep me posted, and….

happy belated bday

=D
    .-= Sara @heartmychloe´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday =-.

Yeah, it really is a catch 22 isn’t it. To bad their couldn’t be a hybrid of both systems. Free health care with the option for private (paid).

• I’m so glad that Vista is finally going to get to see a neurologist!!! You must be SO relieved – so so happy for you!!
    .-= Maria @BOREDmommy´s last blog ..Mamavation – Week One =-.

• Melissa says:

This is great for Vista! a blessing really for all of you. Free healthcare is one thing, but honsetly that is soo long to wait.

How do people in other countries get appts at our Children’s hospital here??? Is that just for procedures unavil in their own?

Come to the states!!!

Yes, usually, if it’s a considered a critical need and it would take too long to get the care where they are. Because V isn’t considered critical or urgent, we have to wait, or pay out of pocket to go to the US, which at this point, we can’t afford.

• PB and Jazz says:

I am thrilled for you that you finally got your appointment. I hope you are able to get some of the answers you are looking for. Congrats!

• Amanda says:

Woo Hoo!!!
    I’m so glad that you FINALLY got that appointment! It’ll be great to get some answers to some of your questions.

I know this might be an unpopular position to take but I do not want a required universal healthcare (e.g. no public choice) – for the exact reason that it took you so long (and had to validate to so many) to get your appointment.

All – that wasn’t meant as a political statement – just my view..
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..Viruses Abound Around Here.. =-.

It’s true. I think there needs to be a hybrid of the two and it’s something people have been pushing for here for a long time. Free for everyone, but if you have the money to pay, give those people an option to have private health care. This is also an unpopular opinion, as it give preference to those with money, but people don’t seem to realize it would also ease the burden on the public health care by taking those people out of the public queue. Wait times lessen for everyone. It’s a win/win.

you know, i’m with you on the private healthcare. i have a friend up there in alberta and she brags all the time about the free healthcare. and then i hear stories like yours…and it makes me realize that the free healthcare ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. i’m glad y’all finally got an appt. keep us posted!

If you’re generally healthy and don’t need to see specialists, then yes, free health care is great. Otherwise…
    I need to get in to see a dermatologist – I’m hoping to get an appointment by November or December. To me, that’s ridiculous.

• avasmommy says:

I can’t tell you how happy I am that she’s finally got that appointment!

The great health care debate will rage on forever. Neither system is perfect, and both should be scrapped in favor of something that actually works!!
    .-= avasmommy´s last blog ..Helpless =-.