OverSelfPromotionalizing

Yeah, I totally just made that word up.

But it totally works.

No, really.  It does….cause I say so.  And I’m the Princess.  And I’m grouchy so you have to do what I say.

Well, OK, not really.  But it’s my blog and I’ll make up words if I want to dammit.

So there.

Yeah.  Anyway.  Where was I?

Oh right.  OverSelfPromotionalizing.

I’ve been seeing more and more people on my twitter stream who are less about the social aspect of Twitter and more about the self promotion aspect.

I don’t mind the occasional tweet to let me know what’s going on with your business/promotion/giveaway/etc. In fact I’ll often retweet these as there are some great people with really quality things to share.

But there is a point where it starts to border on the redonkulous.

When every second tweet is something about how fabulous your company is?  I’ll probably unfollow you.

When you tweet not once, not twice, but three times about some comment you posted on some big name blog (ooooo.. look at me!  I can comment on a famous blogger’s blog!  Everyone look at me, look at me, look at *thwap*)  Yeah, I’m definitely going to unfollow your ass.

Because, really?  Get the fuck over yourself.  I already have.

19 Responses to OverSelfPromotionalizing

• Beth says:

Amen Princess!
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..I Am Done Tip-Toeing =-.

Bwahahahaaha!!! DITTO
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..My Own 9/11 =-.

• Nadine says:

I. So. Agree.
    Amen.
    .-= Nadine´s last blog ..I’m not "the wife", fucker! =-.

• Bridget says:

totally a word. and I couldn’t agree more. people really tweet about commenting on a famous blog? Can’t *anyone* comment on a famous blog??? wtf? I missed that somehow
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..Serenity Sunday =-.

Oh yeah. Some people need to be the center of attention at all times. It’s tiring, quite frankly. And this particular person has become a total ‘me’ junkie. I just don’t have time for that anymore. I’d rather have people that can carry on a conversation. Maybe I’m weird that way ;-)

• Laura says:

(@mccammon1) wow, you are so right. I follow some people who seem really nice, etc, and then all of a sudden there are 5, 10, 20 tweets about stupid stuff like that. Now, I’m not that “interesting” or anything, but come on. BTW I love OverSelfPromotionalizing & redonkulous, they are so both real words!!
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Another Trip to ER =-.

Yeah, there seems to be more and more of that too. I’m finding the more people I follow the less tolerance I have for it, because I don’t want to wade through the junk to get to the good stuff.

• dude, i will promote the fuck out of you and the awesomeness that spews (pun intended) from your mouth. and i will so raise a glass to this post because it was fanfuckintastic. and yeah, i made up that word too. BITCHES!!!
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..toddler puke =-.

Dude, I think you are fanfuckintastic! You rock my socks

• Jen says:

Hear HEAR!
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Looking beyond the look(s) =-.

• Issa says:

I so agree.

Have a question for you: what do you think about mass-unfollowing? Because I think about it daily. I’d like to get it down to the people I actually talk too/recognize. But I feel bad, because all of these people follow me. Opinions?
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Just when I thought I couldn’t love her more =-.

It depends. If it were me, I would do it. But I don’t care how many followers I have compared to the next person. I’m more in it for the personal interaction. So if that doesn’t matter to you, and as long as you’re OK with the fact that a bunch of those people you unfollow will probably unfollow you back, go for it.
    Maybe just send out a general tweet saying ‘hey, nothing personal, but I just don’t have time to wade through all this, so I’m only keeping people that I actually interact with’. I’ve seen several people do that in the past couple months.

Oh and, BTW, if you unfollow me, I will hunt you down and start stalking you on Facebook. ;-)

Issa Reply:

@Jenn, Oh dude, see that’s the thing. I think I’m following people who I have no real idea who they are. So then I miss people who I do love to talk too.

Babe, I’m not deleting you. No way, no how. Nor anyone who we both talk to all the time. Just the random followers, who follow me, say every time Heather Spohr says something too me. It gets old.

I may try your idea. Maybe a I’m pruning my list…if we don’t talk but you want me to keep following you, say hey. :)
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Follow Friday #4, My Life Out of Focus =-.

• Vixen says:

I just wanted you to know, I love the word redonkulous. It is my new favorite word in the world.
    .-= Vixen´s last blog ..WW~My Baby Grew Up, Happy 23 Baby Boy =-.

• Mocha Dad says:

I also don’t mind periodic self-promotion. Heck, I do it myself. But if that’s all you have to offer, I cannot fully connect with you.

• Avasmommy says:

I’m totally going to tweet now about leaving this comment.
    .-= Avasmommy´s last blog ..Why I’m a Twitter Quitter =-.

• lettergirl says:

Let me join the chorus of Amens, Jenn. It’s sad behavior. I can’t decide if it’s a personality disorder or a cry for help, like they need an tweet-ervention.
    .-= lettergirl´s last blog ..A Brief History of Texas =-.

• LMAO! This post basically just about made my entire night!
    .-= Amanda (Garibay Soup)´s last blog ..The Moment I’ve Been Waiting For…. =-.

You rock my socks.
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..The week that was… well… bad. =-.