Born Too Soon

I’ve touched on Vista’s birth story a few times on here.

At 4 weeks early, she was considered a preemie.

We spent only a week and a half with her in NICU / Special Care Nursery.

That week and a half was one of the worst of my life.

VNICU 300x225 Born Too Soon

That’s Vista in the Special Care Nursery.

That mass you see at the top of her head is an IV.  No parent should have to see their newborn with an IV in her head.  V had several of them over a couple of weeks.  Two years later her head is still sensitive in the spots where the IV’s were.

Every day, a few times a day, they would come in and prick her foot to draw blood.  Seeing your new baby screaming all you want to do as a mother is pick up your child and comfort them.  But I couldn’t.  I got to hold her for 30 minutes every 3 hours.  That’s it.  Because her bilirubin levels (the jaundice indicator) were at critical levels she had to remain on her bili-bed with extra phototherapy lights.

Not being able to hold and cuddle your newborn?  Sucks the big one.

There are many issues that come with having a newborn.  Vista had a terrible time learning how to latch onto a bottle (breastfeeding was right out).  Because of her under-developed nervous system she would stop breathing occasionally. Let me tell you, watching your child turn blue is beyond scary. Then there’s also the residual effects.  She continues to have stomach issues and sensory disorders.  She’s also more at risk for respiratory issues. Those are things we may always have to deal with.

What we went through is minor though.  There are many parents who spend weeks and even months in the NICU with their newborns because of premature birth.

November is Prematurity Awareness Month. Prematurity is the #1 killer of newborns.  It’s my dream that one day no parent will have to know the stress and fear that comes with having a baby in the NICU.  It’s my dream that one day no parent will know the pain of the loss of a child due to prematurity complications.  And that one day, no child will suffer the effects of prematurity for the rest of their lives.

Today I’m joining the March of Dimes Fight For Preemies, so that maybe one day all parents can bring their newborn babies home, healthy and happy.

e3a0ec35a7ae68d473b6e77aa1a7227b Born Too Soon

11 Responses to Born Too Soon

Thank you again for sharing your story. Friends of ours had their first born at 26 weeks – so 14 weeks early. They too went through many trials and tribulations for 3 months before they could bring their little one home. I can only imagine the stress – I felt it only second hand.
    You are a very brave and strong mommy for getting through all of that. Vista is a very brave and strong little girl for living through that.
    I understand about the heel pricking, my son was a week late and very small so had to be checked every three hours for the first 24 hours. His little heels were like purple grapes when we got to go home, but I at least could hold him while they did it. I can’t imagine not being able to.
    Stay strong.

• Amanda says:

You are right, it’s so hard when you can’t hold them but are forced to sit and watch – although I will say I was happy to be able to do even that.

Vista is lucky to have you as her mom.
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..My Preemie – My Fight =-.

• MoD Lilliam says:

On behalf of the March of Dimes, thank you for joining the fight for preemies. Vista is remarkable and gorgeous!!!! Thank you for sharing your story to raise awareness about this important cause. You’re right, all babies should have a healthy start in life.
    .-= MoD Lilliam´s last blog ..United States Scores a big fat “D” =-.

• my love to you and your’s, as always. and thank you for promoting awareness with such a passionate heart.

I so very badly want to touch on this, but it kind of breaks my heart…in very many ways.
    xoxoxo

(that’s directed at my own situation, BTW)
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Testing =-.

• Ashlee says:

How hard for you to have to see that and not be able to hold her! Breaks my heart just looking at that picture!!!
    .-= Ashlee´s last blog ..Fall Fun w/ Thing 1 and Thing 2! =-.

Huge hug friend. Vista is beautiful and strong, just like her Momma. You are a wonderful mother too. Lots and lots of love.
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Dude Response Friday – Fictional Five =-.

@Colleen,

Thanks sweetie. Loves you right back. Your own strength is always an inspiration to me

• PsychMamma says:

Amen, mama. I share your dream. No baby & their parents should ever have to be in NICU. Our time there? 3 months. I know all about IVs in the head, heel pricks multiple times a day, apnea monitors, breathing troubles, blood transfusions…the list goes on. It’s a horrible way to start with a new baby. Not being able to hold them? The WORST.

Even though what we went through was awful, we are so aware of the other families who faced much worse or, unimaginably, never got to bring their babies home.

What March of Dimes is working toward is amazing, and it’s an organization I’ll continue to support in any way I can. Thanks for a wonderful post, bringing attention to an issue that is not discussed enough, given it’s prevalence.

Love you, lady. You are a sister of my heart.
    .-= PsychMamma´s last blog ..H1N1 Vaccine Info =-.

@PsychMamma,

Oh lady. 3 months. I don’t know how you did it. I pretty much went bat shit crazy after a week and a half.

Being in the NICU with V was heartbreaking. Not because of her, but seeing the micropreemies who fit in the palm of your hand and struggled for every breath they took. You just wish you could wave your wand and make everything better.

(hugs)

• That beautiful girl has come a long, long way. Thanks to her amazing mama.

Loves you (both)
    .-= Sara @heartmychloe´s last blog ..I’ve got a case of the yuckies =( =-.