Faking It

I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I haven’t had the real thing in a long time.

A very long time.

Years in fact.

*sigh*

I miss being able to touch it and stroke the length of the…

pine needles.

Get your dirty whore minds out of the gutters.

I’m talking about a Christmas tree here people.  Boy, you’re all a bunch of perverts.  Cause I know where you were all going with that.

I’ll have you know this is sort of kind of not really a family site

ANYWAY, as I was saying…

It’s been 15 over 10 many years since I had a real tree in the house.

Part of me really misses it.  I love walking into room and breathing in that fresh pine smell.

300px Balsam Hill artificial Christmas tree Faking It
Image via Wikipedia

And setting up the fake tree, having to fluff each branch, well you just don’t have to do that with a real tree.

I really tossed around the idea of getting a real tree this year.  You know,bundling up against the snow, hiking out into the forest, spending the afternoon finding just the perfect one, the roar of the chainsaw as you chop that sucker down and toss it in the back of the truck… sigh…. those were the good days.

But then I thought about Bil with a chainsaw in his hands and decided we were all safer faking it.

After all… there are no pine needles to clean up, no tree to dispose of at the end of the holidays, no lights to string (ours is pre-lit).  It does save a lot of hassle in the long run.

And our fake tree tends to stand up better against two curious cats, to big dogs who aren’t smart enough to know where their noses start and tails end, and a 2yr old with balance issues.

But I’ll always long for a fresh White Spruce tree in my living room.  Maybe if I’m really good Santa will bring me one.  Or at least a half decent fake.

So what sayeth you?  Do you like it real and hard as wood, or do you fake it til you make it?

Faking It

26 Responses to Faking It

• Oh, I know the feeling. I haven’t had a real one since I was a kid and for some reason, really wanted one this year. But I reconsidered with 3 year old and 2 year old boys in the house. But there is just something about a real tree.
    .-= Sarah (@scunning)´s last blog ..Confused =-.

@Sarah,

There really is. I wonder if it’s just that it reminds me of *my* childhood christmases and I want to share that with V

We’ve had a fake tree for the last 3 or 4 years. I miss having a real tree too, so to make up for the wonderful scent of pine I usually buy a wreath to hang up in our entry way, it does the trick.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Someone’s Missing =-.

@Lisa,

Oh, now aren’t you so smart. I’m going to do that. Someone on twitter also said his wife gets little pine bough decorations for the tree, so the tree gets that pine smell then. Genius.

• Deidra23 says:

I’ve always faked it, my entire life. I’ve never had a real tree.

The first time I went into a house with a real christmas tree i thought they’d gone crazy with fake pine scent, immediately stabbed 3 needles into my socks and wondered if they’d ever vacuumed. Oh yeah.. and the real tree was tied to thier ceiling so it didn’t topple over.

Thanks, but I sure like my 10 minutes to assemble pre-lit remote controlled tree.

@Deidra23,

You’ve NEVER had a real tree?? Really???
    I kinda feel bad for you, though I’m not really sure why….

• oohhhhhh i love you so much!!!!!!!!!!! to play on your playfulness, i’ll say that i’ve never had one. ever. never ever. nope.

:) dammit i love you woman!!!!!!
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..getting in the spirit via a cold, snow and FEETIES!!! =-.

@nic

How do you live your life and never have a real one? lol
    It just feels so much more like Christmas with a real hard wood in your house

• Avasmommy says:

For me it’s just not Christmas without a real tree. When we bought our house 8 years ago, my first thought was “now I can have real tree again” I like em big too. Between 9 & 12….feet!
    .-= Avasmommy´s last blog ..Things You Always Wanted to Know or Things You Never Really Cared About =-.

9 & 12 feet!!! OMG!!
    Dude you totally have to take pictures of your tree and blog them so I can see.

• IronicMom says:

We alternate. Every year that we use the fake one (and don’t have a fight putting up the lights)I still swear I need a real one for the smell; every year we have a real one (and fight over who’s going to vacuum every 5 minutes), I swear we’re going to use the fake one…

Maybe we should decorate a cactus.

Leanne
    .-= IronicMom´s last blog ..5 Signs It’s Time To Go on a Date =-.

@IronicMom,

ROFL. You cactus comment had me doing the ugly snort laugh.

I suppose alternating would be a good compromise and just might save my sanity too

• Anne Y says:

I have never been able to fake it. I need that strong hard sappy wood and that amazing pine smell!
    .-= Anne Y´s last blog ..If a bunny bites your baby’s finger =-.

@Anne Y,

Really, that’s the only thing I truly miss about going the fake route. My mom tried some of that ‘pine scent in a can’ one year. GAG. It’s just not the same.

• Beth says:

Lol, brilliant! We for years have had real trees, but every year we have one I am miserable the whole time, from allergies. This year because of Ez we had to get a fake one..and part of me was relieved….At least I won’t be taking it down shortly after the presents are unwrapped this year!
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Why you should/should not drink and Internet shop…. =-.

@Beth,

You’re allergic to pine trees? Really? I have never, ever, heard of that. You poor thing!!

Hope you and your boys have an AMAZING Christmas. You deserve it after the year you’ve had.

• You also don’t have to water a fake tree. My husband suggested getting a real one this year but I said no. I can barely remember to water my houseplants once a week, and I don’t need a Christmas tree catching on fire.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Everything but the Kitchen Sink Chili =-.

@C @ Kid Things,

My friends have this contraption for their tree that uses a big empty pop bottle filled with water and then it waters the tree bit by bit for you and you only have to refill it every couple of days. I would need to get that if we had a real tree because I can’t even remember to water house plants.

• Pres. Kathy says:

Right now we have a fake tree, but I can;t wait until my little guy gets older so we can get a real tree.

@Pres. Kathy,

So here’s a question for you. How old do you want him to be before you get a real tree? Like is there an age you have in mind where you feel it will be safer / better / less hassle?
    Because I’ve been wondering the same thing.

• Issa says:

Laughing my ass off at the title of this post.

I am a real girl all the way. I love the smell of it. It’s not really Christmas for me, without the smell of a real tree.

@Issa,

lol. Yeah, there’s just something about that pine smell that screams ‘Christmas is here!’

Although I am a real girl all the way, Mason *may* be allergic. He has other environmental allergies and his aunts are VERY allergic to real trees. So we went with a fake tree once we had him. Hopefully in the next few years he will be having that very in depth allergy test and maybe we can go back to real.
    I totally miss the smell, but honestly once the trees make their way all the way to SWFL they are almost dead. Which is really annoying. So I have to add water/sprite CONSTANTLY for it to make it to Christmas.
    So I am faking for now. It is easier. *snicker*
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..More of “My Story” the engagement addition. =-.

@Lu,

Another person with pine tree allergies. I had never heard of that til I wrote that post. It never dawned on me that people could be allergic to Christmas trees. That would SUCK.

• Magda says:

There are many things I could fake, but this is not one of them. Go real or go home.
    .-= Magda´s last blog ..Hyde Park Fudge Cake =-.

Hehehehe, funny! Being as I have no sense of smell, and tend to walk around barefoot all the time, I find the investment in a high-quality fake tree to be the way to go – if I ever bother with a tree, which I rarely do. I can’t imagine bother with the time and effort to put a tree to my standards for just myself to enjoy. I go and help my mom and that’s good enough for me. :)

To each his own, though. I’m not one of those militant tree fanatics that is diehard pro- or con- fake tree.
    .-= Kellee´s last blog ..WTF Friday: High Heels on Wheels =-.