The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Just a quick warning…. If you’re easily offended, or at work, you *may* not want to click on any of the links in this post.

325351305 ce3e38b477 m The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Image by Alice Harold via Flickr

It used to be that everyone in our family would buy for everyone else and Christmas morning would be filled with hours of present opening and sipping warm apple cider.

As my brothers and I got older, and we moved out on our own, with our own bills to pay, we switched to drawing names.  Everyone’s name went into a bowl, you bought for that one person, max $100.

Now with spouses, a few kids, and a high cost of living, new rules have come into play this year.  You can buy presents for the two kids.  For the adults we’ll do a gift game.  Buy a gift, no more than $20, gender neutral, everyone ends up with something.

OK fine.  I can go along with most of that.

Except, in this day and age, what do you buy for $20 that’s not absolute crap?  And add to the fact it has to be non-gender specific?

Gah!

So I’ve been searching and searching for two of these gifts (one for Bil, one for me) to bring to this exchange.

And I’ve come up empty handed.

And also a little irritated.

I’m at the point, where I’m really tempted just to be a bitch and really do something that would just fuck the whole thing up (well, from my mother’s point of view, anyways).

I mean, can you imagine my very straight laced strict Catholic father unwraping a nice big 17 inch surprise for his gift?  In the most technical terms, it is gender neutral.  And OK, so it’s a *bit* over the $20 limit, but not by much.

There’s nothing in the rules that say the gifts had to be appropriate.

But then I think… I don’t want to rock the boat too much.  So perhaps a nice T-Shirt.  You know, something my mom could wear to work on casual days.

Any other suggestions of $20 shit gifts I could bring that aren’t chocolate covered?

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

16 Responses to The Gift That Keeps On Giving

• i love you and i feel you. honestly, the only christmas shopping i have done were the jammies i sent you guys the other day.

other than that, i am without… and really not feelin it.

meh…
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..pillow talk =-.

• Kekibird says:

Can I come to your party? We do a damn white elephant and everyone things it’s funny to bring some cheesy “As Seen On TV” items.

SAVE ME!!!!

@Kekibird,
    OMG. That would totally make me cry. Or come up with something even worse. Yeah, that’s probably what I’d do. Put together some kinky sex kit just to really screw with everyone.

• Laura says:

I love it! That would really be “the gift that keeps giving” ! Lol . We are all down ths year so luckily it’s kids only ;) My dad and his family will be getting a nice movie gift card, other than that not shopping much. Done for the kids. I love getting people gifts but hate trying to figure out what the hellto get! I feel ya! Miss u!

• Ashleigh says:

those chocolate covered models are not even attractive. It just looks….not right…and you know I’m down with the bewbs.
    .-= Ashleigh´s last blog ..16 things I am thankful for. =-.

@Ashleigh,

I know. I was all like, ‘Wow, I bet if I covered Ashleigh in chocolate, she’d be much hotter than those skanks’

• Avasmommy says:

What about a Movie basket? A DVD, some popcorn & candy.
    Board Games
    Bottle of wine
    .-= Avasmommy´s last blog ..Things You Always Wanted to Know or Things You Never Really Cared About =-.

@Avasmommy,

Bil and I are the only ones that really like wine. Having said that, though, a case of beer would probably be a big winner. lol

A bottle of wine and a snuggie…seriously, what else does one need in this world?
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Further proof =-.

@Heather,

Dude. Bil and I LOVED this idea. We are totally getting snuggies and some coffee mugs for the gifts. Thank you!

Ok the comments here are fantastic. Wine and a Snuggie. Awesome.

What about a CD of elevator music (kidding)? Starbucks gift card?
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Looking for Signs =-.

@Colleen,

BWAHAHAHA… the elevator music made me laugh.

Bil and I are the only ones who drink Starbucks. The rest of my white trash family are all Timmy Ho’s fans (http://www.timhortons.com/)

But I could include Timmy GC’s…that’s actually not a bad idea at all…. Thanks!

• Anne Y says:

My mom would laugh her ass off at the 17″ surprise so it would be appropriate at our family Christmas. I agree, there is not much you can buy for $20 these days that isn’t crap, Good luck!
    .-= Anne Y´s last blog ..Forgive Me…..It is possible that I will swear in this post! =-.

• AmazingGreis says:

What about any type of gift card. It’s definitely hard to find anything decent for $20 nowadays. Good luck with your search!
    .-= AmazingGreis´s last blog ..If I was… =-.

Yeah I agree with AmazingGreis. My initial gut reaction is GIFT CARD! what about a movie or a book maybe?
    .-= Kellee´s last blog ..WTF Friday: High Heels on Wheels =-.

@Kellee,

lol. I think we may take your advice and include a gift card. All purpose and they can get what they like