Follow Friday THIS, beeotch

One of my biggest pet peeves about Twitter on Fridays is the massive amounts of spam that is called ‘Follow Friday’.
I’m talking about people who ‘just can’t possibly choose who they like the best’ so instead they send out tweet after tweet with every single one of their followers listed in them.

And that tells me what exactly? That you have enough time (and few enough followers) to type each and every one out.

Yay for you!  Here’s your sign.

And you know how many of those people I’m going to follow because you said so?

None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Because you haven’t told me anything.

Why are they worth following? What makes them special? What makes you WANT to talk to them rather than the other couple hundred people on your list?

Unless you can give me a reason WHY I should follow them, I’m not going to bother weeding through all the names to figure out which are really worth adding.

So….

1. Stop filling up my twitter stream with absolute useless garbage
  2. Grow a pair and stop sniveling about the fact that ‘you don’t want to leave anyone out…’. This isn’t grade school. This is the real world. Not everyone is going to like you all the time. Deal with it.
  3. Pick a handful of people you’ve talked to A LOT in the past week and tell me why they were worth talking to.

See? Not that hard.

Now, I still don’t like to send out tweet after tweet on Fridays, so I’m going to bring back my Follow Fridays here on my blog and irritate the shit out of all my readers instead.  I know you guys love me.  Wait….where are you all going??……

Well, fine.  For the three of you left reading, every Friday I’ll be (trying to) post my top follows of the week.  I’ll be telling you a bit about what made them stand out for me that week.

If you want to play along on your blog, I’ll be adding a Mr. Linky at the bottom of the Follow Friday posts, so add the link to your post with your picks of the week so we can go check them out.

Alright?  Everyone happy?  No?  Just me, eh.  Well that’s OK.  It’s my blog and I’m the only one that really matters so pfffffffttttttt.

Ahem.

Without further ado, my Follow Friday list for January 22nd:

• masmom:  My girl, Lu, always makes me giggle.  Especially when she starts popping pain killers from her ankle surgery and starts stoned tweeting?  OMG.  Pee your pants funny.  And if you’re really lucky she’ll leave you a comment on your blog while she’s stoned that’ll take you half an hour to decipher and that she won’t remember writing the next morning.
  • carareed:  I just about died when she posted this picture on Tuesday.  That would be a sketch her doc did of her hooha explaining how a cervix works to keep a baby from just falling out (because she’s only had a couple kids and would have never figured that out on her own *snort*).  But the fact that she brought the drawing home and put it up on the interwebs for our viewing pleasure?  Doesn’t get much cooler than that.  Oh, and I may also follower her because I want to be skinny and beautiful like her one day, but that’s complete supposition.
  • terrie_j:  Real life mama to @mommyneedsmeds and all round awesomeness.  She’s always there to dispense virtual hugs, kisses, and cuddles, and the occasional smack upside the head if it’s warranted.  It’s like having the best version of your own mom on Twitter, without all the drama, and guilt.
  • toywithme and her darling husband Mr_Puck:  The reason these two are on my first list of 2010 goes back to something they did at Christmas for a little girl they’d never met.  I’ve talked about Nat, the daughter of our good friends, who has brain cancer.  Her parents saved up to buy her an iTouch for Christmas.  Something she could bring with her to all the endless appointments she has.  They got the notification from the local post office in mid-December that the package was in, and they went to pick it up.  Only to find that the post office couldn’t find it.  Anywhere.  They went back every day for two weeks to see if it had turned up (as of writing this – mid-January, there’s still been no sign of the package).  There was no way they could afford another iTouch this close to Christmas, so they were scrambling to figure out what they were going to do for Nat’s gift from Santa.  I went on Twitter with a rant about how Canada post sucks the big one (especially since their response to the whole matter was ‘here’s a 1-800 number you can call’).  Enter toywithme and Mr_Puck.  They very quietly, without fanfare, and with no expectation of recognition, offered to replace the iTouch.  They made arrangements to have a store close to Nat’s family hold their last iTouch for them to pick up.  This was Christmas Eve by the way.  I consider these two people true Christmas angels.  They will forever have my gratitude for making the Christmas of a little girl who’s had a really rough year.

So those are my first Follow Fridays of 2010.  Sure, there are dozens of other people I could have put in that list, but I have a whole year for that.  icon wink Follow Friday THIS, beeotch

If you want to play too, than link up, and if you’re so inclined, grab a badge.

*smooches*

Followfriday Follow Friday THIS, beeotch

32 Responses to Follow Friday THIS, beeotch

• Issa says:

I made it three weeks last year and gave up. Follow Friday Failure. :)

It gets old. The FF thing. Was okay at first. But people are still saying the same people after a year. Like, hi, we get it, they is your best friend. Sigh…you know what, I may have done that too. Oops. Ha.
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..And then there were four =-.

@Issa,
    Ha! I did it for a while too last year… and then stopped.
    But I agree, you need to mix it up sometimes. (and I promise I’ll keep that in mind) ;-)

• ROFL – so glad you spoke out on exactly what I think some weeks. I’ve never really done #ff mainly because (a) I seriously don’t have the time and (b) I don’t know many of my followers well because they don’t talk to me and (c) the ones that I do follow and talk to and like, I would hope know that already because I follow and talk to them and like them. Make sense??

Thanks for starting this – it might make it easier to nominate a few of my favourite tweeps with good reason of course! LOL
    Tricia : )

@Tricia (irishsamom),

*gasp* You don’t have the time? lol.
    It’s not so much about saying ‘I like so and so and I’m saying so publicly’. It’s more about an opportunity to let your followers get to know each other and get introduced to people they might not normally consider following.

• Chibi Jeebs says:

I *do* worry about leaving people out cuz I’m neurotic like that (aka “that’s how I roll” ;) ), so I just don’t participate. I’m also paranoid that I’ll screw up etiquette by missing someone in my thank-yous. God, I’m a mess. *snort*

I think I love toywithme and MrPuck even more now, though. *wibbles*
    .-= Chibi Jeebs´s last blog ..GTT: Pet Peeves =-.

@Chibi Jeebs,

Etiquette? Dude, it’s Twitter, not finishing school. lol

Chibi Jeebs Reply:

@Jenn, but, but, but I wear my little white gloves and EVERYTHING! D:

hehehe

@Chibi Jeebs,

*imagining Chibi Jeebs in a little school girl uniform*…

Oh! Huh? What? Hi! ;-)

• Avasmommy says:

Guilty as charged, since I don’t do follow Friday on twitter because I don’t like singling people out period. I think everyone I follow is great, or I wouldn’t follow them. Plus, I’m protected, so what’s the point? It may be the real world and not high school, but some folks end up getting butt hurt anyway, and who needs that kind of drama?

Man, I need caffeine or drugs or something. Am pissy pants today.
    .-= Avasmommy´s last blog ..Don’t Peeve Me Off! =-.

@Avasmommy,

I guess I’m the type of person that if your feelings are hurt because I don’t mention you one week then, really, get over yourself. lol. Me=bitch
    I don’t do it as a popularity contest. So there should be no reasons for feeling to be hurt. And I think if people are offended than that’s there problem and they need to own their own feelings.
    Boy, that was a long rambly way of saying I’m a complete bitch who doesn’t care about whiners. lol

Avasmommy Reply:

@Jenn, There may not be a reason for people to get hurt, but that doesn’t stop some of them anyway. I have too much drama going on in my life without going looking for more, ya know? I’m not saying you shouldn’t do it, I’m just saying for me, it’s not worth the hurt feelings that could ensue. Or maybe I just give myself too much credit to think that I’m important enough to anybody online that they’d give two squirts of rat piss about the whole thing in the first place.
    .-= Avasmommy´s last blog ..Don’t Peeve Me Off! =-.

This is the best list ever. Especially that first gal. What and awesome and hilarious lady. *snort* KIDDING.
    I am honored to be on your list and I plan on doing follow friday posts again in the near future. Like um, next Friday. This Friday I am living up to my high as a kite reputation. 3 cortisone shots. BOY HOWDY.
    Anyway, thanks for including me and I swear I will try not to comment too high from now on. (Crossing fingers behind my back.)
    Love you bitch.
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..Protected: The truth can be so heavy. Want to hold some of it for me? =-.

@Lu,

Bwahahaha… see.. .first sentence proves why you’re on this list.

And boo cortisone shots. Those hurt like an SOB. So pop away on those pills.

• i rarely do ff either. i MIGHT do the blog version. we shall see. and i LOL’d reading Lu’s comment. oh man that was awesome.
    .-= Becky @TheRealBecks´s last blog ..Almost Famous =-.

@Becky @TheRealBecks,

Do it! lol
    I know, I’m all about peer pressure.

• kyooty says:

I really like this idea, vs “follow everyone” :)
    I of course blame Carareed for my trip here today
    .-= kyooty´s last blog ..Thank Yous and Friday Fill-ins =-.

@kyooty,

lol! That’s OK, I blame Cara for a lot of stuff too. Especially the fact that she’s skinny and I’m not. I’m pretty sure that’s all her fault. ;-)

kyooty Reply:

@Jenn, hehe her fault!
    .-= kyooty´s last blog ..Thank Yous and Friday Fill-ins =-.

Cara Reply:

@kyooty, @Jenn blame away ladies…the Nutella cupcake that just went straight to my ass can handle all the blame in the world.
    .-= Cara´s last blog ..She is my daughter =-.

• patois says:

Loved how I found your post today because @BeautifulWreck2 was all bragging on you. (Obviously doesn’t mind sticking her neck out, eh?) Great idea. I hate those tweets. Passionately.
    .-= patois´s last blog ..A Modest Proposal =-.

@patois,

ROFL… yeah, I would never group @BeautifulWreck2 in with the shy and retiring types.

• why am i not surprised to read this???? WHY???? :) there has been a kind of dissolving of follow friday on twitter. i think within the last 2 + months, i’ve seen more people tweet out messages saying “if you #FF me i will unfollow you” than actual true follow friday tweets.

hmm… interesting to ponder about…

then again, i love who i love and those who i love know it. nuff said. beeotch.
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..An open letter to Roger David =-.

@nic @mybottlesup,

I agreee…it’s been so overdone it’s lost all it’s value.

But I still like to boss my followers around and tell them who to follow.

nic @mybottlesup Reply:

@Jenn, you can boss me around any time… and i will follow. oh yes, i will follow.
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..An open letter to Roger David =-.

@nic @mybottlesup,

Ha! Proof you’re my beeotch!

Errrrr… I mean, thanks for listening… lol

nic @mybottlesup Reply:

@Jenn, no no… i’m fully secure in my “i’m jenn’s bitch”ness. i own it. damn proud of it in fact.
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..An open letter to Roger David =-.

• Aunt Becky says:

Bwahahaha! I love it. I do #FF once in awhile where I shout out a person or two. But you know, I’m not very good at following orders.
    .-= Aunt Becky´s last blog ..Mail Box Fail + Bloggies =-.

@Aunt Becky,

ROFL!

See, I don’t mind a shout out or two once in while. I think it’s great because there’s some value there. But 20 tweets listing every follower they have? My finger sits there hovering over the unfollow button. lol

• Thank god you picked up where my lazy ass left off and have started this back up again!

I’m telling you…working full time really gets in the way of my blogging!
    .-= ali (adil320)´s last blog ..Helpless =-.

@ali (adil320),

Yeah, I figured you were being such a slacker…errr… I mean working so hard, that I’d start it up over here again.
    (only 192 days left til I see you!!!)

• toywithme says:

Follow Friday is such a pain in the ass. Cramming people into a tweet makes zero sense and clutters up my stream. If someone is really note worthy post a link to their site or latest article with a comment as to why I should spend my limited time viewing it. Jenn, I think what you are doing is a fab idea. Thanks for the props girl :)
    .-= toywithme´s last blog ..My Bachelorette Party Debacle =-.

Hehehehe, this is fun. I agree with the whole FollowFriday silly shit. I like one of two ways, the way you suggested… Follow this person and here’s why. Or Follow these people, with a list of people. One tweet, two tops. If I like you, if I find you amusing, I’ll likely give a few of your people a shot. 3 or 4 or 5 is different from 70.

I like this idea of yours. Should be fun.
    .-= Kellee´s last blog ..Seasoning the Homeless =-.