Just call me Dr. Mom

I’m beginning to realize that last winter we really lucked out.

Vista was for the most part healthy and didn’t come down with a lot of colds or sickness.

This year… *sigh*  Is a different story.

As soon as she gets over one cold, we get a week off before she starts getting  sick again.

Bil and I are so over it.

v asthma spacer Just call me Dr. MomThe whining,  the hysterics every time she sneezes, the being up all night because her nose is runny and that is an absolute crisis in her world.

And with every round of being sick has come a round of croup.  Except I don’t think it’s croup.  I think  it’s the start of asthma.

So with this latest round of sickness she’s back on inhalers.

There are a few things you learn very quickly when you have a child who is chronically ill.  That is to trust your instincts, trust that you know your child better than any doctor, and that doctors are not infallible.

I spend a large part of my days, when something new comes up, reading medical journals online.  Researching, cross referencing, eliminating possibilities.

When Vista was little, and her doctors insisted that she was fine and just slow to develop because she was a preemie, this research got them to agree to do an MRI (against their better judgment – they were just humoring me, you understand).   But mother’s instinct didn’t fail me and the doctors were shocked when her scan revealed a brain malformation and missing pieces.

And when I suggested when she was only 3 months old, that she might have a milk allergy, which was summarily dismissed by all her doctors… well, I should have listened to my mother’s instinct then.  By the time she was a year old, her GI specialist grudgingly agreed that she might have an *mild intolerance*.  Months of food diaries and elimination diets revealed a severe milk allergy.  Bad enough that she couldn’t even eat beef and a kiss on the cheek from someone who had just had a drink of coffee with creamer in it would leave an angry red mark on her skin.

Now I’m preparing  to do battle on the asthma front.

This time I have my own experience to draw from, though.

As a kid, I was diagnosed with croup over and over.

I had chronic bronchial infections.  There were years I was on antibiotics 11 months out of the year.

But it wasn’t until I was a teenager that a doctor finally shook his head, handed me an inhaler, and sent me for asthma testing, which confirmed  the diagnosis.

See, the problem was, even in the midst of an asthma attack, I don’t get the tell tale bronchial spasms that are what most doctors use to diagnose asthma.

After Vista’s coughing attack at Christmas that left her breathless and blue, we found out she doesn’t get bronchial spasms either. But the attack she had was a carbon copy of what my asthma attacks used to be like.

So, now, once again I am researching, reading, and preparing to make my case before the judge doctor.

16 Responses to Just call me Dr. Mom

• angi says:

I’m so sorry. But you are on the right track..a mother’s instinct is worth a LOT. Keep pushin’, Momma.

@angi,

Thanks for your support Angi. It’s appreciated!

• Beth says:

Cough-variant asthma. That’s the “new” name for what used to be called non-wheezing asthma. It presents differently, and is tested for by having the patient breathe in irritants to trigger an attack — unless she’s “lucky” enough to have an attack in front of a doctor who know what he’s looking at.

@Beth,

lol. See this is why I post on these things. Because someone’s either been through it, or knows more about it and can help me out.
    Thank you for that bit of information. That sounds exactly like what it is.

Being a preemie, she probably had a touch of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, which, as the child ages and develops, turns in to asthma. So she gets it both from you and from her early arrival! I’m sorry,Jenn, I empathize on so many levels. I really do.

• PsychMamma says:

You are SO right to trust your mama instincts! And I’m reading med journals right along with you! I find it fun to see docs expressions change when they here me use correct medical terminology and cite journal research, when they previously thought I was a moron. =)

If she has Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD or, previously, Chronic Lung Disease) from preemie birth, it should show on a chest x-Ray (patches of opaque white throughout lungs that indicate scarring). J has severe BPD, & her lungs look like an 80 y/o with emphysema after smoking all their life. Her asthma is a result of this lung condition.

Stay strong and determined in your efforts to get the best care for V! It’s a full time job (I KNOW!), but pays in huge rewards.

xoxox
    .-= PsychMamma´s last blog ..When Is a Kid’s Cough More Than a Cold? =-.

You have to trust your instincts and be Vista’s loudest advocate. It sounds like you are on the right tract. I hope they listen to you this time and get Vista the treatment she needs to make her feel better.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Time For the Big Change? =-.

• Ginny says:

It shouldn’t have to be this hard. I understand that doctors have been through med school, have put jn their time, but I still don’t understand why they think that entitles them to be dismissive.

Good luck. You sound tough, and it’s a damn good thing you are.

• A mother’s instinct is usually the best thing you’ve got.
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Golden Globes =-.

• oh love… that pic of sweet V made me tear up. a mother’s instinct amazing, though it took me a long time with a baby magoo to trust mine. i have since learned… young grasshoppa.
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..slooooow down, no need for the sex talk yet… =-.

You know I read your posts and every time I admire you so much more. You are so amazing.

Love you! Sending you a huge hug.

• Pres. Kathy says:

You should always trust your insticts! Hope everything is ok.
    .-= Pres. Kathy´s last blog ..Preschool =-.

First of all I am sorry you are having to deal with anything else at all. But you could not be more right, we know our kids best. I was firm and had to come in with research b/c I *knew* Mason had reflux. But they kept doubting me. It sucked that I even had to do that but it saved him months of crying and pain. I could write a novel on how I am SO OVER doctors and how they act like we know nothing at all, much less something about our own kids/self.
    Bottom line: GO GET ‘EM MAMA!
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..Protected: The truth can be so heavy. Want to hold some of it for me? =-.

• Issa says:

I hate that they just won’t test her. Asthma is so scary. It’s not something to mess with. Keep pushing them Jenn. You are doing what’s right for her…hopefully soon they will listen.
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Monday random: things I don’t understand =-.

So glad that you at least have one doctor that listens to you. I hope you get this sorted out. Clearly your instincts are nothing to be so easily dismissed, so go kick them in the ass! :) Good luck! <3
    .-= Kellee´s last blog ..Seasoning the Homeless =-.

• Mandi Bone says:

When they handed me Evie. I said something is wrong with her. They looked at me like I was crazy. No she is healthly blah blah blah. You can’t feel that connected to her you didn’t give birth to her. It took 5 months. You are great!