The Good Doctor

Just a quick Vista update for those who care.

So… we had an appoint with our family doctor on Monday to talk about Vista’s inhalers and I also wanted to talk to him about some of her specialist flagging some of her behaviors as autism markers.

Visiting Dr.F is always interesting. First of all he is the ONLY doctor that Vista likes. She will let him check her, and even pick her up, with no screaming and crying. And then there’s the fact that Dr.F totally think the sun rises and sets with Vista. You see, she was his very first patient in his practice (in fact before he even had a practice). He was her doctor when she was in the Special Care Nursery (a step down from NICU), when she was born. And so he’s always taken a special interest in her.

I love the fact that she’s so relaxed with him. It makes a visit to the doctor so much easier. And I also like the fact that I feel like he listens to me and doesn’t dismiss me as a neurotic mother. That’s a rare and valuable quality in a doctor these days.

The first thing we discussed were her inhalers. And the fact that, yes, the doc at urgent care had prescribed her an inhaler that was way above her age range (thank you Dr. Lori for bringing that to my attention).  We confirmed that she doesn’t need to be on inhalers full time, but when she gets a cold, she’ll go on them for a week or two to keep her airways open.  I’m happy with that arrangement and it seems to work for Vista.

Then we talked about some of the autism makers we’re seeing.  Stuff like lining up toys, counting things over and over and over, and other OCD quirks she has.  He agreed that it was probably time to get her in for a formal screening, so he’s made a referral to the Children’s Hospital in the city.  He’s not overly concerned, especially because he’s thrilled with where she is with talking and walking in light of her brain issues.  He said  that any autism she may have would be mild and it may just be her quirky self.

Before we left, I asked him if he had received a call from Children’s Services back in December.  Surprise, surprise, they didn’t call him either.  That’s 3 names I gave them and they called none of them.  Unreal.  I still have to check with Vista’s pediatrician to see if they talked to him.  What I found interesting is Dr.F guessed within 2 seconds of hearing my story who it was that had reported me.  He’s asked me to gather some information about the CS investigation and pass it on to him and then he is going to file a formal complaint against the pharmacy (and pharmacist) who filed the report with CS.  I’m apparently not the only person who has had problems with that pharmacy.

I have to say, I came away from this appointment feeling good about where things are and very supported.  Having a good doctor, when you have a child with issues, can really make such a huge difference.

As we were walking out of the office, we ran into Dr.F’s wife who had brought him some coffee.  The Dr introduced us and his wife immediately looked at Vista and said “Oh!  Is this Vista Avalon?”.   I must have had a “how the fuck do you know my daughter’s middle name” look on my face because she started laughing and explained that Dr. F talks about Vista all the time and they both just love her name, so it’s always stuck with her.  Huh.

The biggest surprise of the whole visit, though, came with Vista gave Dr. F a hug before we left.  And not just one of her ‘I’ll sort of lean into you and let you touch me’ hugs.   I’m talking about an arms around his neck, squeezing hug.  Apparently even she knows a good doctor when  she sees one.

17 Responses to The Good Doctor

• You must feel so much better after that appointment. It’s great to have a doctor who is concerned and truly cares about your daughter’s well-being. The fact that little Vista adores him too is the icing.

I’m so glad she’s doing well!

A good pedi is so important and I am so glad V has him. He is the anchor for all other care, so I am so glad you have someone that awesome in your corner. Because you guys need it. Def. keep us updated because WE DO CARE! xoxo
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..The one time my husband’s boss tried to kill him. For real. =-.

• How awesome that you have such a great, caring doctor who knows and understands V almost as well as you do. That’s got to be a huge relief. And where is that pharmacy? I want to send some “people” up there to take care of them. LOL. So glad V is doing so well and that you have someone that you and especially she like to support you during these important years. Hugs to you and V.
    Tricia : )

• Naomi says:

That is so great. My son has had a lot of respiratory problems since he was a tiny baby and his dr is awesome too. It always makes it easier to deal with a sick kid when you have a dr who understands and knows how to help.

• awww she’s such a good kid. she gets it from her mama ;) and i’m so glad you love your doctor and that he REALLY listens to you.

• :) this put an ENORMOUS smile on my face for you all.
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..i made my first mocha, nearly broke the machine, overflowed scalding hot espresso on myself and didn’t froth properly =-.

• PB and Jazz says:

Wonderful news for Vista! I am so glad you have someone you trust and she trusts. She is a good judge of character. I am glad your Dr. is going to open a can of whoop ass on the pharmacy! Pisses me off. Thanks for the update. I care about you and Vista!

Paula
    .-= PB and Jazz´s last blog ..New Header, New Year, New Post =-.

• Laura says:

Um, gee, of course we care, ALOT! Glad to her Miss Vista has a. dr she loves and obviously he adores her above and beyond his call. I’m also happy to hear he is going to do what he can to that stupid pharmacy! People shouldn’t be able to get away with crap like that! Hope Miss V stays on a good trip of feeling better. Hugs mama!!!

• Vixen says:

Having a good doctor like Dr. F can really make the difference in life, right? We have a ped like that who is in love with Ladybug. The funny thing is he was my kids pediatrician when we moved to SoCal 10 years ago, so I already trusted and liked him. He listens to Nanny and trusts her instincts. Mostly he adores Ladybug. In fact, when Nanny takes Butterball in for a check up, he gives her the attention she needs and when he is done I always gets a complete run down on what is going on with Ladybug even though she didn’t even have an appt.

I am so glad you have him and that he is going to file that complaint. It has a lot more weight when it comes from a doctor. Let’s hope they get in big enough trouble to make them change.
    .-= Vixen´s last blog ..Everything ends. But there are always new beginnings. =-.

• stacie says:

That is awesome that you have a doctor who listens. Are you going to be seeing a developmental doctor for Vista for the screening of Autism? It took so many times of me saying autism before I finally got sent to a developmental DR. The one we say was the most awesome Doctor and thankfully when we do another screening we get to see her again which makes me very happy. Good Luck! We had to do the inhaler thing every time that Dakota had a cold too. I don’t like the inhalers at all.

• Having a doctor like that is SO important for kids like ours that aren’t your average, textbook kids. I’m so glad Vista (and you) have him in your life! And I’m also glad that a medical professional is going to file a complaint. I can imagine that it will be taken so much more seriously. Good Doctor, indeed!

My Blythe has OCD, SPD and corn-induced autism, as well as a bunch of other issues. Having the right people around to help you deal with them – and weed out the incorrect diagnoses – makes life so much easier! Keep us updated, of COURSE we care!
    .-= Andrea’s Sweet Life´s last blog ..Strength =-.

I got a little misty eyed reading the last paragraph Jenn.

I’m really happy you have someone you can trust and count on. It’s so important. I don’t know what I’d do without my pediatrician.

Let us know how the screening goes! You know how much we all love you and your Vista! :)
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Guarded =-.

I’m moving to Canada.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Ramblings…. =-.

• punkinmama says:

Nothing beats a good doctor! Nothing. We’ve had our fair share and what a difference it makes!

So glad you have Dr. F and so happy V loves him too!
    .-= punkinmama´s last blog ..saying it out loud =-.

• Al_Pal says:

SO glad you have an awesome doctor!
    .-= Al_Pal´s last blog ..My new creative outlet: Bread Puddings! =-.

• Pres. Kathy says:

Glad to hear that everything went well!
    .-= Pres. Kathy´s last blog ..It has been a long time. . . . =-.

Yes, good doctors are few and far between. My best friend is a doctor, and I can’t tell you how nice it is to have a medical professional that knows me and loves me and cares about me. I still have outside doctors manage my care, but his council is invaluable.

It sounds like Vista is making some progress, and that is great news.

And seriously, fuck you pharmacy dudes.
    .-= Kellee´s last blog ..Seasoning the Homeless =-.