Insert Something Witty Here

I’m seeing this more and more.

The feeling of ‘I wanted to say something, but couldn’t come up with anything witty to say, so I didn’t say anything at all’.

I’m guilty of this.

I’ve typed many a tweet and blog comment and then just before hitting that post button, I’ve deleted it because I didn’t feel it added anything to the conversation.

And I find myself doing that more and more. This self-censoring.

But why do we put such pressure on ourselves? Why does everything we write have to be just perfect, better than the other persons comment, tweet, whatever ?

Honestly, I’m happy to have any blog comment. Even if it’s just one that says ‘hey I was here and I liked this post’.

I don’t ever read my comments or tweets and think ‘Wow…why did they even bother writing that?’.

To me it doesn’t matter if what someone has written is witty, smart, funny, profound.

What matters more is that they felt it was worth taking the time to comment or reply at all. And that means a lot.

34 Responses to Insert Something Witty Here

• PB and Jazz says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. Thanks for saying this. I am so guilty of this!
    .-= PB and Jazz´s last blog ..Research Project =-.

@PB and Jazz,

I think we all are. I wish I could be witty and funny all the time, but there are days where it’s just too much effort. ;-)

• Mandi Bone says:

Are you reading my mind? I do this all the time. I feel like I am going to get made fun of for misspelled words and grammer. I get nervous then hit delete. I have wrote a e-mail a 1000 times to the bloger who started me down this path and I have never sent it.
    .-= Mandi Bone´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Greg!!! =-.

@Mandi Bone,

I’ve given up and accepted the fact I can’t spell and my grammar sucks. It’s a lost cause. lol

But you should totally send that email. Even if they don’t respond, I know they’ll appreciate it.

• cindy w says:

Hi! I was here & I liked this post.

(No, really, I did. I totally get what you’re saying.)
    .-= cindy w´s last blog ..just as she is =-.

@cindy w,

ROFL. This totally made me laugh. Thanks sweets.

• Exactly. I know it’s not considered good commenting practice to simply comment with an “I like this post” but sometimes that’s really all that’s needed (or wanted).
    .-= C @ Kid Things´s last blog ..Thank God for Google =-.

@C @ Kid Things,

You make a good point about the ‘wanted’ part.

It’s true. Because sometimes then I can’t come up with anything witty to reply back and then I feel like an idiot.

• omg i’ve done this too. i sometimes feel like if it’s not going to really help someone or add something then i’m not gonna say it. i need to follow your lead and not care. because i’m like you. if someone even takes the time to @ me or reply to a blog post i’m just glad they did no matter what they say.
    .-= Becky @TheRealBecks´s last blog ..Break dancing =-.

@Becky @TheRealBecks,

The not caring is hard though. Especially because you are like me. We’re both perfectionists.

Becky @TheRealBecks Reply:

@Jenn, yep. So so true.
    .-= Becky @TheRealBecks´s last blog ..Break dancing =-.

You should put a disclaimer that says: Unless you are high as a kite, then maybe come back tomorrow. Or maybe I should have that censor and don’t. My blog friends are so lucky to have me and my non-censored ass. BWAHAHAHA! I will say though, if I click on a post and there are hundreds of comments, unless I feel s super personal connection to the post and can offer something new, I don’t. I just feel like a number in that situation.
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday and more because I can’t be wordless. =-.

@Lu,

BWAHAHAHAHA… dude you can post high anytime. It just takes me a bit longer to figure out what the hell you were *trying* to say. lol

I was here, I’m always here (although sometimes later than most) and I need to be better about commenting and letting people know I love their posts!

HUG!
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Getting My Bitch On. =-.

@Colleen,

What’s that graffiti that used to be in high school washrooms….. “I was here but now I’m gone. I left this not to turn you”… oh wait, never mind.

• jenn says:

absolutely agree with you and i am very guilty of this! im like lu, sometimes i feel like a number like if someone had hundreds of comments, do they actually read each one? sometimes i feel like if i just put “well said” or “great post” the poster may feel like its not enough? i like you am thankful for any comment though, even if it is a “i like this post”
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..Hopeful… =-.

@jenn,

But where do we get this idea that people will think it’s not enough? That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Because I’m the same way.

jenn Reply:

@Jenn, I actually think it falls back to the whole “im not good enough” thing. I really think that most of us being women feel inferior to others..and thats not entirely based on writing skills etc..its based on how we as women compare ourselves to each other.
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..Hopeful… =-.

Yep, I’m guilty of this too. Sometimes I wish I could just hit post comment, tweet, blog post, whatever, without caring what other people will think about it. I’m trying to do that more.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..11 Years: A Sad Anniversary =-.

@Lisa,

It’s hard to set aside that ‘what will people think of me’ side of us, isn’t it?

• Adelas says:

I do this too -but I wouldn’t call it censoring. If you were at a party in real life and didn’t have anything to add to the conversation and stayed quiet, would you call it censoring, or just staying quiet and listening to everyone else until you had something you wanted to say?

So in that regard, it’s not that awful. But what is awful is when you’re not speaking, not because you don’t have ANYthing to say but because you are down on yourself for not measuring up to saying something as COOL as what you expect of yourself. That sentence broke all kinds of grammatical laws, but whatever.

Like C says, (and Cindy kinda too) – sometimes you just need to be able to say “i read this. i care. i liked it.” and what’s frustrating is the need to be more interesting than that, so that people will come find you and give you the same thing.

@Adelas,

I think I refer to it as censoring myself, only because I type it out then delete it. When I’m at a party I just tend to say stuff and then it’s out there and there is no ‘delete’ key… just a bunch of people looking at you really funny. ;-)

• patois says:

Agreed.

(How’s that for not witty yet still showing I was here?)
    .-= patois´s last blog ..Village People, Only Not Dressed So Wingnut Except Me =-.

@patois,

ROFL. Love it! Thank you.

• Liked this. A lot. I rarely write a comment and delete it, I just read blogs that I love sometimes and literally have no time to write anything and by the time I do have time, they’ve written five more posts!! OR, the opposite – I write big long, boring comments and after I’ve posted I think : Oh shit, I wonder if they’ll think I’m crazy to have written a blog post on their blog post? LOL. Ask Lu, I’ve done that a ton with her ….
    You always make a little comment on my rare posts and I very much appreciate that. Thanks. : )
    .-= Tricia (irishsamom)´s last blog ..My Birthday Boy =-.

@Tricia (irishsamom),

lol. You know what, people always apologize when they leave me big long comments, but I love them. My only comment is, if it’s prompting you to write that much in a comment, than maybe it’s fodder for a blog post of your own. ;-)

• I cycle. I’m either running my mouth about every damn thing, or I realize I’ve been doing that, and start self-censoring myself.
    .-= thepsychobabble´s last blog ..GTT: No Consequences? =-.

@thepsychobabble,

LMAO. Dude, you and I are two peas in a pod. I start thinking I need to learn to shut up then go too far that way and don’t say anything at all.

• Kel says:

A. Men.
    .-= Kel´s last blog ..Monday Night is Movie Night =-.

• Issa says:

I am very guilty of this. Especially right now. I feel like my voice, doesn’t matter at all.

I can barely make myself stay online long enough to comment at all. But? I love comments and I adore commenting, normally. Is something I’ll be working on…next week. ;)
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Happy 11th anniversary to me =-.

• Miss Grace says:

I OFTEN don’t comment because I don’t feel like I have anything to add, beyond nodding my head, which is hard to do virtually.
    .-= Miss Grace´s last blog ..me plus sick plus sick kid minus sleep plus noise equals me on video =-.

• AmazingGreis says:

I 100% agree!
    .-= AmazingGreis´s last blog ..Horses, Cowboys & Fried Food; OH MY… =-.

• punkinmama says:

Wow, I’ve been deleting so much stuff lately, I’ve practically become invisible on the internets. Must re-think, as I’m missing all the conversation with people!
    .-= punkinmama´s last blog ..sunday reflection =-.

• i was here. i usually am. :) i almost deleted that whole foods post the other day and look what kookiness came from that. good times, eh? (you like my “eh”???)
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..the ONE TIME i go out in public to get coffee and “work”… OK, THE SECOND TIME… =-.