In A Good Place

While Vista napped this afternoon, I sat in my favorite chair in the living room, surrounded by a sea of scattered toys, jotting down updates and notes in her Care Notebook.

Next month will be her third birthday.

Three years of test results, assessments, letters from doctors, and all her Early Intervention visit records sit in this binder.

I have pages full of names and numbers for doctors, nurses, and therapists of all kinds. Lists of things to ask and review with her pediatrician at our appointment tomorrow.

It has been a hard fought battle to get where we are today.

But I finally feel like we are in a good place.

A place where we’re being heard.

A place where Vista is getting the support she needs.

When I noticed she woke up again with tremors, something she hasn’t had since starting her anti-seizure meds, I was able to place a phone call to her neurologists office, discuss it with them, and get her meds adjusted over the phone.

Thursday I’ll be attending a parent orientation session for a 9 week preschool child development treatment program that Vista’s been accepted into.  This will give us access to an Occupational Therapist, a Speech Language Pathologist, a Physiotherapist, a Child Psychologist, and a Social Worker, on a weekly basis.  These people will work with Vista and give her, and us, the tools we need to help Vista with some of her sensory and behaviour issues.

We’ll be working with this team and with Vista’s doctors to try and qualify for government funding so Vista can have an aide to help her at school.  She may qualify on a medical diagnosis because of her seizures, but that’s going to be a wait and see game.  I’m hoping it’ll go through, so she can go to preschool a few days a week in the fall.

And thanks to the wonderful people at the Calgary Cerebral Palsy Association, Vista now has a bike to ride this summer.  It’s wonderful to see her be able to do some of the peddling on her own as she squeals “Look at me, Mommy!  Look at me!”

I’m looking, baby girl, and I’m so proud of how far you’ve come.

V1 In A Good Place

V2 In A Good Place

V3 In A Good Place

V4 In A Good Place

12 Responses to In A Good Place

• ally says:

This is awesome Jenn.

I am so proud of V for how far she has come, but I’m also so proud of you and the amazing job you are doing as her advocate.

Love you babes~

That is so awesome Jenn.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Navigating the Grocery Store =-.

I’m so excited to see the photos of her riding her bike!!!! She looks fantastic!!

And the rest – makes me happy.

Love you all!
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..Once Upon a Birthday =-.

• Laura says:

She’s such a beautiful little girl, and you are such a strong inspiration of a mama! I am so glad that V is doing good, and yay for the bike. You go my friend!

• Beth says:

Aw she is adorable, I love the bike! Her and Ezra are really close in age, his 3rd bday is May 23rd.

I hope you get her meds sorted out soon.
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Bloggography Lens Challenge =-.

You’ve gotten to the magic place! it hits you…this magical place where everything kind of seems like it’s going to be ok…

I think it’s acceptance mixed with something else that I can’t come up with a name for.

And, that bike is awesome!

I love you.
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Angel Eyes =-.

• Cara says:

V is such an amazing little doll. The pictures of her on her bike are priceless.

You & Bil are amazing parents. V could not be any luckier.

• Carrie says:

Congratulations on getting to a good place :) I hope V continues to improve and she gets all the help she needs.

That is a great bike! My almost 4 year old would be jealous…I’m thinking she might get one for her birthday this year though she has practically no where the ride it :op
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Impressions =-.

• Madge says:

the new school sounds wonderful. V is so lucky to have you for her mother.
    .-= Madge´s last blog ..last madge post =-.

• What an amazing little girl. So lucky to have you guys as parents – as advocates for her. HUGS.

And she looks DARN cute on that bike!!
    .-= MommyGeekology´s last blog ..Taking Requests =-.

• PB and Jazz says:

She is so beautiful. She is an amazing little girl. I love to see pictures of her, her smile lights up the screen. She is also blessed with really great parents. I am proud of you all.

• Mandi Bone says:

She is a beauty. She looks so proud riding her bike. It is a great feeling to have the support you need.
    .-= Mandi Bone´s last blog ..ROAD TRIP! =-.