The Haunted Chronicles

I haven’t posted anything about our resident ghost lately because he really hasn’t been around.

After the last round of ‘The Unexplained‘, Sam left and stayed gone until recently. When we asked Vista where he was, her answer was always the same:

Sam’s at work.  Like Daddy works.  But Sam works with people.

I would smile and nod and on we would go with our lives.  After all, this isn’t the first prolonged absence by Sam.  I figured soon or later he would show up.

I just didn’t think it would be at 2am Friday morning.

Vista started calling for me, so I stumbled out of bed and into her room.  It crossed my mind that it was odd that she was awake, because she’d actually been sleeping through the night quite well since we put her on her anti-seizure meds.

I fixed her covers for her while I explained that it was still night time and she needed to go back to sleep.  Then I leaned down and gave her a kiss and told her “Mommy loves you”.

She looked at me, still wide awake, and said “OK Mommy.  I loves you too.”

Then she looked over my shoulder and said…

“Bye Sam”

*sigh*

I raised an eyebrow at her.  “Was Sam here?”

“Yes”

“I see.  Do you know why he was here?”

I could see Vista pause “He…. popped…in…to…say…Hi”

*another Mommy sigh*

“Of course he did.  Well, Sam needs to learn how to tell time because 2am is not appropriate visiting hours.  Tell him to come back in the morning”

I finished tucking her in, gave her another kiss, and headed back to bed cursing ghosts who don’t own watches.

The Friday and Saturday passed uneventfully.

Then today.

I woke to hear my Belgian Shepherd woofing in the downstairs bedroom.  The last time he did this was the last time Sam was around.  I could here him vocalizing at something.  Not growls and barks but more…talking.

In the 6 years I’ve owned this dog, I’ve know him to do this a handful of times.  All of them since Sam arrived in our lives and always in the downstairs bedroom.  I’m not sure why that room is special.

Rather than let him continue and risk waking Vista, I called him upstairs and put him and our border collie out in the back yard.

We eventually all got out of bed and Vista headed off with her respite worker for a day of fun.

Bil and I decided to take the opportunity to shampoo the carpets and catch up on some cleaning.

We cleared most of the furniture out of the living room, leaving the fish tank, book shelves, and my grandfather clock.

This clock is something very special to me.  It was handcrafted by my Grandad (my dad’s father), and left to me when he passed away.  Before he died, he also made each of my aunts a grandfather clock.

On the day he died all three clocks stopped at the same time.  *cue spooky music*

The clock was carefully padded and packed up to make the 14hr drive to my house.

But once we set it up in our here we discovered something had shifted in the mechanisms inside.  It no longer kept time properly and wouldn’t chime at all.  We tried a few times to get it to work, but realized that we would need to find a clocksmith to come out and make the necessary adjustments.

But we’ve just never found anyone I would trust with my beloved clock.  So it’s sat still in the corner of our living room for the past 5 years.  No longer ticking but still a cherished time piece.

Until today.

After we finished pulling the furniture out of the living room, we sat on the floor to have a quick lunch before starting the cleaning.  As we finished our lunch, Bil stood up and I saw a look of shock go across his face.

“Jenn… look at the clock…”

258814631 3588be86f9 m The Haunted Chronicles
Image by anyjazz65 via Flickr

I turned and looked at my grandfather clock.

The pendulum was slowly rocking back and forth and back and forth.   Keeping. Perfect. Time.

I looked at the clock on the DVD player.  A 4hr 15 minute time difference between the grandfather clock and the correct time.

And judging from the amount the counter weights in the clock had dropped it had just started today.

I knew the time on the clock had been stopped at 2:45.

Bil did a bit of mind math… “7am.  It would have started at 7am this morning”

I looked at him.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Because that’s what time the dog woke me up this morning woofing at whatever was downstairs”

I could feel the hair on the back of my neck standing up.

We left it running as we worked around the house.  Glancing at it every time we walked past.

Then tonight at 5:45 (1:00 grandfather clock time), it chimed for the first time in this house.

I’ve got an email in to one of my aunts to see if she remembers what time the clocks stopped at when my grandfather passes.

I’m hoping it wasn’t 1:00, otherwise Bil may move out of the house.

I guess maybe Sam took my order to ‘learn how to tell time’ seriously.

The Haunted Chronicles

38 Responses to The Haunted Chronicles

• dude, being on the phone with you when this happened was bizarre in itself. i have NEVER heard you say, “ohmygosh, i am freaking,” and then go dead silent with me just sitting on the other end of the phone waiting…… and waiting…….. til you continue your sentence and tell me what just happened. i can’t wait to hear more, especially with your aunt’s info. i can’t help but wonder about the name sam as well…

so much to dissect here… LOVE IT!!!
    .-= nic @mybottlesup´s last blog ..Changes =-.

@nic @mybottlesup,

I know. Creeped me right out.
    The last time I heard that clock chime was the last time I saw my grandad alive.

• Vixen says:

I know you are annoyed with Sam for waking V up in the night, but I must say….I think I like Sam. Especially if he really fixed such a special clock. And nothing I said up there was said with sarcasm. In fact, if Bill is too freaked and moves out? I’ll move in with you. I’ve known some ghosts in my life and found them to be, well, awesome.
    .-= Vixen´s last blog ..Really Every Answer Should Just Say: Baby Now =-.

@Vixen,

I totally think you should move in anyway. You can sleep in Sam’s…errr… I mean, the spare bedroom

• Sarah says:

Um … That’s all I’ve got. Just umm…

@Sarah,

Is that a ‘wow, you really need to be on more meds because you’re obviously loosing it’ or a ‘I’m really freaked out by this post’ ummm? ;-)

• HOLY. SHIT.
    .-= Jenni Williams´s last blog ..Spring Break =-.

Holyfuckingshitmuch? Yeah, these are the same kind of experiences I have had with ghosts my whole life. Pretty insane. Same is such a smart-ass. He is the perfect ghost for you guys.
    P.S. HI! I missed you on vacay!
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..More on Lu, you know, the fat girl… =-.

@Lu,

Ha! Yeah, I suppose. It would probably take a smart-ass ghost to get our attention.

• punkinmama says:

Dude, your posts about Sam always spook me. Seriously wacked out.
    .-= punkinmama´s last blog ..happy easter =-.

@punkinmama,

Isn’t it, though?
    And Bil and I are both the logical types so we went through every possible ‘how could the clock start on it’s own theory’.
    I even called my parents and asked them if they knew how it could happen and even they think it’s Sam. lol

• Mandi Bone says:

You should have ghost hunters come to your house. My dead father in law stops by to check on my daughters. Now that is creepy.
    .-= Mandi Bone´s last blog ..What Maddie taught me =-.

@Mandi Bone,

I’ve considered it. But then I’d have to really clean up and that just sounds like effort. How come I could have a ghost that cleans the house for me?

Mandi Bone Reply:

@Jenn,
    I didn’t think of having the ghost clean. Next time Doug stops by I am going to ask him to clean up the girls room since he is in there checking on them anyways.
    .-= Mandi Bone´s last blog ..What Maddie taught me =-.

• RJ Flamingo says:

OK, this is creepy. And I’m not mocking you. As the Cowardly Lion so astutely put it: “I DO believe in ghosts. I DO believe in ghosts. I do, I do, I do, I do, I DO believe i ghosts!”
    .-= RJ Flamingo´s last blog ..PhotoHunt: Vertical & Share Our Strength =-.

• I would have already moved out at this point.
    .-= Maria @BOREDmommy´s last blog ..Yummy Mummy Club – PHAT Mummy =-.

@Maria @BOREDmommy,

Are you kidding? And miss out on great blog material

• Leigh-Anne says:

I think he’s great. We have had visitors but no one as regular as Sam.. although I do know my Dad is here a lot… just by feeling him tho – not by anything he’s doing.

Wow, that is just too creepy. I with Bil, I think I would just have to move out.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..The “Sam Ham” Book =-.

• Chibi Jeebs says:

OMGOMGOMG – full-body shivers. O_O But, like the dork I am, got a little teary-eyed when I realized Sam fixed your clock, like he was trying to make it up to you for visiting so early (late?). He’s not so bad after all. ;)
    .-= Chibi Jeebs´s last blog ..Headachey? Seasonal allergies? =-.

@Chibi Jeebs,

I don’t know if he was fixing it to be nice, or to be snotty and say ‘see…can too read a clock’. All the other clocks in the house are digital, so maybe he needed an old fashioned kind ;-)

• Deidra23 says:

Next time, you might want to comment that Sam needs to learn how to do dishes.. or laundry.. or vacuum!

• Michelle P. says:

That is the weirdest thing.

• Hmmm…is it possible that Sam knew granddad? (I’m trying to remember if you guys ever figured out who Sam was/is) Or that Sam is Granddad?
    .-= thepsychobabble´s last blog ..Schedules, juggling and yeah, all that…. =-.

• My daughter had a very similar/freaky “friend” who would wake her up at night, etc. when she was little. It got to be very surreal. Once I found her sitting on the couch in the middle of the night waiting for her friend who had “told” her he’d be there for a visit shortly. Freaked me out.

But no crazy clocks …

Thank goodness. I might have moved out of my own house!
    .-= Twenty Four At Heart´s last blog ..The Red Phone Booth =-.

• Karen says:

Wha?? That is sooo creepy…. Kinda cool though, I’d be getting a “to-do” list ready for Sam asap! I mean hey, he’s handy!
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..For Maddie: The Legend of the Birch Tree =-.

I think you need to make friends with him. Actually, I’m more disturbed by…

THE FACT THAT YOU AND BIL HAD FREE TIME AND YOU SHAMPOOED THE CARPETS!

(shame…shame…shame…) ;)
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..Theme Songs =-.

• jenn says:

OH HELL!
    .-= jenn´s last blog ..Tiger Woods Dad Speaks On His Sons Scandalous Behavior =-.

• angi says:

I’m freaked RIGHT OUT. Although, I do love the idea of Sam fixing your clock, whatever his motives. :-) Hi to V!
    .-= angi´s last blog ..She Changed Me =-.

• Becky says:

dude, if it’s 1 i’d MAKE you move. omg. this is all so crazy. seriously. and yet i LIVE for reading your updates on sam.
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Broken Heart =-.

• Carrie says:

That is Freaky!! I would not want to stay in a house with a ghost
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..Daddy’s Magic Touch =-.

• Kel says:

I have goose bumps all up and down my arms and neck.
    .-= Kel´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – Remember Maddie =-.

I love this. I’d freak out too but I honestly think it is so cool.
    .-= Colleen´s last blog ..The Road =-.

• Dara says:

Moving probably won’t help as Sam is not part of the house, but part of V. He’s obviously connected himself to her and he sounds like a good sort.
    Nothing like the nasty old woman that haunted my son.
    Come on, he fixed the clock, whether it was to be snooty or to be kind he could have just smashed it.
    I’d say keep Sam around. If V’s open to visitations (which given her “abnormal” brain patterns she quite likely is) it’s good to have a good guy on her side.

• Kristen says:

I may not sleep tonight. And you’re like a bagillion miles away from me. So. Effing. Creepy.
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Cookies ‘n Cream Cupcakes =-.

• anyjazz says:

Funny stuff! Good yarn. Thanks!

Here’s the story about the clock in the picture.
    .-= anyjazz´s last blog ..Saturday’s Child – Barefoot Summer =-.

• Nanette says:

Wow! From where I sit, I can say that I think that’s REALLY cool! I love that kind of stuff! However, I may not feel the same way if it were my house and my toddler.

Sometimes when our gal is fixated on something behind us and we don’t know what it is, we wonder if it’s my late father coming by to say hi and make silly faces at her.

• Pingback: I’ll Have What She’s Having…