What the Font?

I just realized I haven’t posted in over a week.   I guess that’s what happens when everyone decides they want new blog designs for BlogHer.   Keeps me busy and out of trouble, but also off my own blog.

And it give me some up close and personal time with my Photoshop.

I have to say it’s probably my most favorite application on my entire computer.  I would cry, like seriously sob, if I ever had to give it up.

It’s an addicting application though.  Dangerously addicting.  There are so many little plugins and actions and brushes available for free on the internet.  It’s hard not to want them all.

300px Adobe Caslon a.svg What the Font?

Image via Wikipedia

My biggest downfall, though, is fonts.

I am a font whore.

There.  I said it.  Now my dirty little secret is out.

I have way too many fonts on my laptop.  It currently sits at 1,623.

That’s down from about 2,300 after I cleaned house and dumped a bunch of fonts that just didn’t tickle my fancy anymore.

Sometimes I’ll spend hours looking for the perfect font for a design.  And half the time I can’t find it in my 1,600+ fonts so I go download new ones.

I’m all about the free fonts on dafont.com

I drool over the font newsletter I get from MyFonts.com

Seriously.  I have issues.

When you spend so much time pouring over the perfect font you start learning things about them.

Like that it’s hard to find a font with a really nice capital K.  (I’m partial to Bickham Script Fancy 2 for that … I used it for Kim’s signature for her BlogHer at Home posts *cough* link NSFW (not safe for work) *cough*

Like how in a lot of script fonts the lower case L’s look like cursive B’s.

Like how so many fonts have flawed letter combinations.

Then there’s fonts that I love but doubt I’ll ever actually find a design I can use it in.  Like Fantastic Pete and Jellyka Castle’s Queen.

Yes, decorative fonts are my special weakness.

My ultimate search, though, has been for the perfect cursive font.  It’s a search that’s taken years and more hours than I’m willing to admit that I’ve wasted looking at different fonts.

Maybe I’ll add it to my bucket list.   Along with ‘Find the perfect decorative font for a tattoo of V’s name on my wrist’.

What?  Doesn’t everyone add fonts to their bucket list??

What fonts am I missing?  What’s your must have design font?  The one you just can’t live with out?  I need to know so I can go download it and feed my obsession.

What the Font?

9 Responses to What the Font?

• extrafancy1 says:

I knew we were kindred font spirits when I told you how much I hated comic sans and curlz and you told me you felt the same way about papyrus :)

• Vixen says:

My font obsession started two years ago. And I DON’T EVEN USE THEM. But I spend hours looking at them, searching them and downloading them. For now reason. And yes, finding the perfect cursive font in ON my bucket list. It’s the only thing at all on there right now.

I have totally been searching fonts for tattoos too…I want to get the kids birthdates in Roman Numerals (but fancy Roman Numerals—does that even make sense?).

@Heather,

That totally makes sense. It’s funny but most fonts don’t lend themselves well to roman numerals. Especially fancy cursive fonts because their I’s end up looking more like Js. And it depends how fancy you want.
    A780-Deco has a nice sort of flick to the V’s and X’s while the I is more of a traditional roman numeral look.
    I also like Carla Thin, but again that’s more traditional.
    You could do something like Carmencita.

Another one that might work is this one

Or http://www.dafont.com/vtks-beautiful-dreams.font

or even http://www.dafont.com/chancelaresca-pw.font

• Lauren says:

YESSSSSSSSSS. I love fonts too. When I got my punctuation tattoos I searched and searched and guess what? Fucking TIMES NEW ROMAN has the best looking punctuation marks. My all-time favorite font is Century Gothic. It’s just…. magical.

• Pres. Kathy says:

I love fonts. I am always looking for new ones for my invitations and stationery. Have any recommendations?

@Pres. Kathy,

I could go on for hours, lol.
    Are you looking for cursive, normal, decorative?

Amaze is a favorite of mine. AldridgeScriptSSK is nice.
    And I’m always partial to Miss Lankfort and MissFajardose

You know, I love photoshop, and I have never used it for graphic design of any sort. I know I need to, at some point. Just one other thing to add to the list, I suppose.

• Karen says:

I too have font issues. There’s nothing more satisfying than finding just the right font for promotional collateral at work. I feel superior when it happens. A current cursive favorite is Voluta Script.