In The Mirror

I lay out her new barrettes for her to pick from this morning.

“These ones mommy.  They match my shirt.”

I pick up the ones with pink polka-dots and clip them into her hair.  First one side, then the other, so her sides are pulled back and won’t fall into her face while she’s playing.  She hate’s having hair in her face.  But at least we’ve graduated from wearing hats all the time to putting barrettes in.

I adjust the one on the left so it’s more secure, and then look at her reflection in the mirror.

My heart skips a beat and I can feel the tears pricking my eyes.  She’s growing up so fast.  No longer a baby.  And hardly looking like a toddler.

She’s definitely a little girl now.  And all girl.  Pinks and purples.  Dresses are her favorite.  And having clothes that match are important.  Very important in her world.

Her blond hair and blue eyes tell me we’ll be in trouble when she’s older.  She has the same deep blue eyes as me.  People are always surprised when they meet us in person.  No, I don’t photoshop our eyes to be blue.  They simply are.

She meets my gaze in the mirror and gives me a big smile.

“You happy Mommy?”

“Yes, sweetie, Mommy’s very happy,”  I lie.

I can see the independence in her eyes.  I recognize it.  It is my independence.  And I know trying to keep her safe in a bubble with just make her fight harder to get out.

At three, I have a glimpse of the girl and woman my daughter will become, as I look back at my own reflection.

VistaSept2010 In The Mirror

11 Responses to In The Mirror

• toywithme says:

I remember the day, so well, when I realized Katie was becoming a little girl. Cherish the moments. P.S. I knew I recognized those eyes :) She’s gorgeous, just like her mom.

And in my opinion that is a very, VERY good thing :)

• oh lady… this is making me weepy. she’s just exquisite. like her mama. those eyes are magical.

• Mandi Bone says:

She is beautiful!

• How beautiful. Cherish this time. Before you know it she’ll be running off to school with her friends without looking back at you.

• Jodee says:

I know exactly how you feel! My Boo will be three in November and she is growing up to fast. My baby is no longer a baby! She wants to do everything herself. I should be happy and revel in this independence but it just makes me sad sometimes..

You little girl is so pretty! This is beautiful!

You’re making my all weepy. She beautiful, just like her momma.

Don’t you wish they would just slow down and stay little for a while longer. I’m right there with you. With an almost 3 year old of my own I find it harder and harder to glimpse the baby and toddler she once was.

• beth says:

She is so pretty! I love her cheeks!

• Melissa Palmer says:

Yes – I have to agree. I look at Grace and wonder where she went, and where she is going.

I can remember Vista with her fine blond hair with the magnetic clips holding her tuft at the top of her head! She always had a smile for me (and mostly still does).

I love that our girls are growing into their own, independent people. But hate it MUCHO at the same time…

• PsychMamma says:

So, so beautiful!! I think her and J would be fast friends.

Also? I know this feeling all too well, love.

*smooches*

She’s just as gorgeous as her mama!