It’s A Match

I woke up this morning to the sound of Vista sobbing hysterically.

A glance at the clock told me it was a smidge after 6am.  In other words, too damn early to be awake.  Ugh.

“Vista, sweetie, what’s wrong?”  I called out dragging myself out of bed.

She came crashing into my room at the sound of my voice.

“I can’t find it!!!” *sob, hiccup, sob*

*sigh*  “Sweetie, what can’t you find?”

“I can’t find the matching sock.  I can’t find ANY socks that match!!!”  *cue fresh sobs*

“Are you kidding me?  Really?  You’re crying at six o’clock in the morning because you can’t find a matching sock?”

By this point I was resisting the urge to slam my head repeatedly on my night table.

*sniffle, hiccup, sniffle* “Yeah… cause they DON’T MATCH!”

socks 300x219 Its A Match

“Vista, I love you, but your OCDness drives me nuts sometimes.”

I get myself out of bed and head over to her sock drawer.  The offending missing sock that matched the other one she had pulled out, was of course sitting right there on top.

I picked it up and handed it to her. Immediately she was all smiles.

It makes me think back to the days when my dad used to call me ‘Jekyll and Hyde’.  I’m pretty sure Vista is karmic punishment for my mood swings as a teen.

On the bright side, she was actually able to put on her socks by herself.

This is a new skill she’s acquired recently, so we’ll celebrate that instead.  Is it too early for champagne?

15 Responses to It’s A Match

• jackson did this the other day with his chuck taylors. he has a red pair and a black pair with flames on them. he literally had one of each shoe on and you would’ve thought he was bleeding out and dying a painful, lonely death. he wanted “THE OTHER FIRE SHOE” (black with flames) and didn’t think to look just a smidgen further in his closet… which is exactly where it was.

so cheers to that.

@nic @mybottlesup,

Their ability to completely miss what is right in front of their faces never ceases to amaze me. I think they get it from their fathers. ;-)

• laura says:

First, No, it’s not too early. Second, yay Vista! Way to go. I think kids get more frustrated then we do, especially when they aren’t understood or don’t get something. Miss V is doing so good.

@laura,

I think it’s the frustration and that need for Instant! Gratification!! that ends up driving parents to drink.

• Deidra23 says:

6am is the perfect time for Bailey’s with a little coffee flavoring! Celebrate the socks! Most days I can barely put on my own socks at 6am.

@Deidra23,

I like how you think. *goes to check the liquor cabinet*

I refuse to put socks on at 6am. Mornings are made for bare feet. So are afternoons and evenings.

• DrLori71 says:

My 8 yo once screamed for me at 2 am. I went in his room to see what was wrong. He was holding one sock and said he couldn’t find his other one. I looked under the covers. I found the sock – HE WAS WEARING IT!
    Gotta love our kids! :-)

@DrLori71,

OMG. I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry at that point.

• Ashlee says:

I love the picture of her little feet! Kids are so difficult at times. I’m so glad she has her matching socks now. Maddy has a fit every morning about her hair. It has to be her way and perfect. Drives me nuts. It’s kindergarten not the Miss America Pageant. Where do these girls get their persistence and stubbornness? ;)

@Ashlee,

BWAHAHAHA… Seriously. V has to have matching barrettes and the whole bit every day. It’s like…really? Who exactly are they trying to impress??

Ashlee Reply:

@Jenn, Lol! Great question! I dread the teenage years. I’m honestly scared.

Ah, the joys of motherhood. I was woken in the middle of the night last night by hysterical crying because Maya couldn’t find her blanket. I’m not entirely convinced she was actually fully awake so I’ll cut her some slack, but the flippin’ blanket was right beside her.

• Ironic Mom says:

I love the phrase “karmic punishment.”

My son has the habit of taking his favourite toy to bed (when it’s new). He grips it and then freaks out it the middle of the night when he can’t find it. On Monday night, he woke up sobbing at 2:08 a.m. because he couldn’t find his Hot Wheels car. Thankfully, I was able to convince him to return to bed and that we’d find it in the morning. Of course, he got back to sleep right away; as for me…

• punkinmama says:

Why don’t kids understand the beauty of SLEEP?! It kills me!

Of course, in a few more years, we’re not going to be able to drag them out of bed to get them to go anywhere!

It seems that most children are meant to be retribution for the grandparents. :) I’m glad you were able to resolve that so quickly and easily. And yay for putting socks on alone! :)