Grifting vs Gifting

Way back in July I wrote a post about someone.  I took it down a few months later because, thankfully, it no longer seemed relevant.

Today, I republished it after it was brought to my attention that this person is back to her old patterns.  Same person, different name.

I kind of dread Christmas, in a way, for this reason.  It’s a holiday filled with generosity and giving.  It also a holiday filled with scammers, grifters, and con artists.

I’m not saying this person is any of those things.

I’m just asking you to do your due diligence before you donate.

If you really want to do good, there are lots of registered charities and organizations that would love your donations (your local food bank would be a huge one, this time of year).

But please be cautious of people who constantly ask for money on the internet.

I understand that desire to help, but it’s easy for people to create false identities and stories online to take advantage of people’s good nature.

The only reason I post this is to save my friends (who I know are all generous beyond belief) from being taken advantage of during the holidays.

========================

So here we go again…

First we have to set the story

nomoney Grifting vs Gifting

settingthestory Grifting vs Gifting

motherdying Grifting vs Gifting

Then comes the ‘ask’…

donate Grifting vs Gifting

And when that doesn’t get anywhere, you simply (and subtly) tweet each child’s wishlist

amazonwishlist Grifting vs Gifting

The request for retweets about her plight

retweet Grifting vs Gifting

Annnnd…the inevitable discrepencies

job2s Grifting vs Gifting

So, the money at her job is pretty good, but she’s so broke she can’t afford gifts for her kids, but can afford a new kindle, buy books for her kindle,  and is saving her gift cards to buy the even newer model (rather then buying gifts for her children)…. To each their own, I guess.

kindlebrandnew Grifting vs Gifting

kindlebooks Grifting vs Gifting

kindlenew Grifting vs Gifting

kindlemoney Grifting vs Gifting

21 Responses to Grifting vs Gifting

• Chibi Jeebs says:

This makes my blood BOIL. The guilt trips! The shaming! The LYING! FFS.

• Jana A says:

Ugh. This is just horrible.

• Jett says:

A REGULAR OLD KINDLE.
    *chokes*

• Bil Simser says:

Obviously this woman suffers from delusions of grandeur and multiple personalities. That’s the only way to explain how she can be asking for $$$ for her kids at the beginning of the month and less than two weeks later the proud owner of a new Kindle with almost enough money for a Kindle Fire.

Let’s see. First off, where the fuck are your priorities? Your kids or reading whatever it is you might read on a tablet? I always thought kids come first, parents come later, especially (most especially) at Christmas time. So, where the fuck are your priorities again?

Second, where the fuck are your priorities? Oh yeah, reading stuff on your new Kindle and dreaming about a job that was starting on a Tuesday in November then magically changed to January.

Get your head out of your ass, return your Kindle, and go give your kids the Christmas they deserve. Oh yeah, and stop whining and begging about it on Twitter.

• I’m a disturbed by how she’s asking for help, then a few days later whining about “needing” a Kindle Fire – because the regular Kindle is not enough?
    She’s obviously a lying sack of shit, and I feel sorry for her kids. I hope she gets some help.

I want to puke in her face.

Does she really even have kids? I question all of it.

• I just, am at a loss.

• Kim says:

Bitch be crazy.

That’s the best I could come up with. ; p

• toywithme says:

Karma’s a bitch.

• Shannon says:

@Kim, couldn’t have said it better myself!

• sigh. again, really?

• Tricia says:

Wow. Just wow. This stream is WAY TOO OBVIOUS as I read it, but I am probably one of the people who might fall into this trap. SO WRONG. ON EVERY LEVEL. : ( : (

• Karen says:

Come on, you don’t want to chip in? The girl wants a kindle fire! So hard done by, poor thing. I’ll skip buying food for my unemployed abd very broke brother and chip in on this instead.

I haven’t seen this chick lately, however I do know ” her” and tweeted with her on and off on my old account. I have never heard anything other than this or that happened and I need xyz. It’s always the same story with this chick. It really is awful b/c more often than not if we rally the troops to help someone, I am in.

I’m glad you called it out Jenn. Thanks.

P.S. Miss you! Think of you all often hope V and Bil are behaving. xo

• Mama Mary says:

Is that lady for real? Like, for real, for real? I agree with Kim & Shannon.

• MFA Mama says:

Ooooof.

• Michelle says:

I need a Kindle Fire, everyone send me money!!

• @NightOwly says:

Very interesting. I read her timeline and could NOT believe it. And I can’t believe that people are still giving her money.

There’s someone on Tumblr that does this too. She’s a little better at it but the flavor is the same: she can’t afford shoes for her kids (but she has an iPad); she can’t afford a chair to sit in while she feeds her baby, and so on.

Good for you for keeping track.

• laura m says:

Oh my goodness, the nerve to use your children like that. My kids always come first, and will when they are old and have kids of their own. That’s life. They eat first, they get cleaned up first, they sleep/rest first, an they sure as HELL get Christmas over us adults. I mean come on bimbo. Shut the hell up. And to have better things for yourself than your kids, makes you a shitty mother in my opinion. Stop asking and do something about it. If you really need those things there are charities out there than can help to th ebest of their abilities, or talk to your family/friends. Just crazy.
    Hugs and love to you. And thank you for all the well wishes of this end.
    Hope you, B and V have a great Christmas my dear. :)

• Al_Pal says:

Brutal. Thanks for the heads up…I’d be giving to the Food Bank anyhow. But geez.

• Michy says:

I think part of what bothers me the most about this is that so many of the people who are giving are giving up things for themselves to help others… and if they are giving money to somebody like this, it’s not even appreciated fully, let alone getting ‘paid forward’ down the road. And then when good people DO work on raising money online for an actual good cause, others are skeptical because they’ve been burned by this kind of lowlife.

I would encourage anybody who is thinking of giving money for any reason to do some checking beforehand, to make sure it’s going towards what you want it to. Even if it’s me asking, you should feel free to check things out. (Note: I’m not asking for anything anyway.)