This morning started off nice and leisurely.
Vista got up, I made her breakfast, had a coffee. We were just kicking back.
I pulled up the weather site. Checked the temperatures. Cool. Hmmm… well, maybe if I bundled her up and threw her in the stroller we could go for a walk, since I’ve been saying for the last 6 months 2 months couple weeks that I was going to get out and start exercising. Then I could have my shower once we get back while Vista’s having a snack.
My nice little plan was starting to take shape – then the unthinkable happened – the phone rang.
I know? Who the hell calls at 8:45am? Even if they do know I’ll be up. Even if it is a weekday. Still.
Jenn: Hello *sounding a tad irritated*
Cindy: Oh hi Jenn, it’s Cindy. We have a 9am appointment for Vista and I just wanted to make sure we were still on.
Jenn: Oh of course! Come on over. We’re ready and waiting!
Cindy: Alright, see you in a few minutes!
I looked around at the living room, that hadn’t been vacuumed in two days, scattered with toys. Glanced to where Vista was sitting, still in her pajamas, hair not combed. Realized that I was wearing ratty house clothes, I hadn’t showered, teeth weren’t brushed, had an epic case of bed head and a ginormous zit had taken up residence on my chin.
And Vista’s early intervention worker was going to be here in 15 minutes to work with her.
I sprinted down the hall and grabbed the vacuum and did a 10 second tidy of the living room and hallway.
Grabbed some clothes out of Vistas drawers (matching is for pussies. And if Cindy says anything I’ll say V picked out the outfit. Yes. I’ll LIE). Threw them on the girl who was still sitting there watching me, trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Her hair. Oh geeze. Thank goodness she’s obsessed with hats. Grabbed one and threw it at her as I sprinted down the hall to my bedroom.
I cursed the fact that, of all days, I had to pick today to forget to check my calendar. Then made a mental note to thank Bil for throwing on a load of laundry, so I at least had clean clothes and made the mad dash into the bathroom. Blow dryer in one hand, toothbrush in the other. I realized I’m not that coordinated when I just about ended up with toothpaste in my hair.
I gave up on both and resorted to copious amounts of styling product and hairspray, and a good rinse with mouthwash.
Check the clock. 2minutes. Crud.
I critically examined the zit that was attempting to become a micronation. Grabbed the cover-up and did what I could.
Looked at the rest of my makeup… another glance at the clock. Dammit… guess I’m going au natural.
Ran out to the living room and got Vista to help me herd the animals outside. She’s giggling hysterically thinking this is great fun. Yeah….laugh it up chuckles… just you wait til you have kids…oh gawd…I’m becoming my mother…
Try to get around Vista who’s meandering back to the living room. Gave up and ran the other way around the kitchen island, jumped the steps down to the front door, and pulled it open as Cindy was coming up the walk.
I pasted a big smile on my face and welcomed her in while calculating in my head how many calories I just burned, because, really? I think I deserve an award… made of chocolate.
Nic over at My Bottle’s Up was sweet enough to grace me with the Beautiful Blogger Award last week.
I hate to say it, but I’m just insecure enough that little things like this make me feel validated. And I need that boost some days. Otherwise I fall into the ‘why am I bothering to blog’ trap. And I’ve been feeling that way quite a bit lately. Which is why I haven’t been as active on here or on Twitter.
I find myself on the brink of unplugging and walking away.
And it’s not that I don’t enjoy blogging, because I love having a place to vent and mull and share. And I love the support and friendship I get from Twitter.
But the past few weeks… I don’t know. I couldn’t even say what it is that’s making me feel like this. Maybe I’m just burnt out from real life stuff.
Anyway, that’s my really long winded, whiny way of saying ‘Thanks Nic. I needed the pick me up’
So, the ‘rules’ of this award:
- Thank the person who nominated me for this award (Thanks Nic!)
- Copy the award & place it on my blog. (see the pretty picture up above?)
- Link to the person who nominated me for this award. (linky love…right here!)
- Share 7 interesting things about myself (oh gawd…really? Well, fine. Feel free to skip it and look at the pretty blog award up top instead, though)
- Nominate 7 other beautiful bloggers (think, think, think… who do I want to know more about….)
Seven things you always wanted to know about me, but were afraid to ask:
(aka. seven random things because I’m lacking creativity)
- Part of me really wants to go back to work, at least part time. But putting Vista in daycare is totally out of the question right now. And working evenings after a full-on day with her isn’t really realistic. Nor is leaving Bil to watch her after he’s worked all day. So, that whole working thing? Not gonna happen any time soon. Guess that means I’ll just have to force people to let me redesign their blogs instead.
- I think we’ve pretty much decided not to expand our family. When Bil and I were out shopping the other day we saw some adorable baby clothes and our reaction was ‘Wouldn’t this have looked cute on Vista… we should get a doll for her that she can dress in these clothes’, not ‘OMG, I wish I had a baby so I could buy these clothes’. I almost feel like I should feel some sadness at the thought of not having anymore kids, but all I get is a sense of relief. But I still want babies to hug and snuggle, so y’all better get on popping a few out for me.
- We have a huge backyard at our house (think a quarter acre – about 3 normal city lots) that is wide open right now. I know exactly what I’d like to do to it, but I’m landscaping inept and don’t know where to start. I also kill plants just by looking at them. It’s true.
- I think it’s important for kids to grow up with pets. I see the difference in the way Vista approaches animals compared to children who don’t have animals in the house. I like that she understands not to rush up to a dog (that’s not hers), and is gentle petting other cats (even though she insists on loving her cat practically to death)
- Bil and I are toying with the idea of pulling Vista out of school for a year when she’s older and spending it traveling across North America and Europe. The ultimate first-hand learning experience.
- I love to craft. It’s a creative outlet for me. Cross stitching, crocheting, scrapbooking… love them all.
- I crave change sometimes. Rearranging furniture makes me happy. I want to repaint our house (it’s been the same colors for 5 years. That’s about 3 years too long). And I’m dying to redo Vista’s room but I’m looking for inspiration. I think it’ll be a pink and brown stripes or polka dot theme, but haven’t found exactly the right look yet (any interior decorators want a project? lol)
Now, to stress 7 of my friends into having to come up with 7 things about themselves…
- First on the list is Ally. Sweet and sensitive, she’s beautiful inside and out. And also because I think I have a right to know all her dirty little secrets before I snuggle with her in August.
- Next up is Lu. I’ve suckered her and her gimp ankle into taking over BlogHer@Home bandwagon (watch for her to launch it in early March!), so I figure, at the very least, I owe her an award for that. The fact that she still manages to make us all laugh (painkillers not withstanding) about her physical therapy trials and tribulations is a bonus.
- And I can’t leave out my other BlogHer@Home bitch (yeah, I managed to sucker more than one person into taking this over while I party in NYC! Can you believe it?). So ThePsychobabble definitely has to be on this list. Passionate and opinionated. And her name is Jennifer too. *love*
- Someone who’s been making me smile a lot lately is Ashlee over at Brain of a Mommy. She as a cool new camera that she’s taking pretty pictures with. But I’m not jealous (much).
- For not being afraid to tell it like it is and stand up for her opinions, I send love, awards, and accolades over to Kim at Beautiful Wreck.
- One mom I totally look up to, who continually awes me with her perseverance and endurance in the face of adversity, is Heather from Our Incredible Journey. I don’t know how she’s still awake most days, never mind sane.
- And last, but never least, she brightens my days with her friendship. My beautiful blogger list would never be complete without my friend Colleen.
Occasionally other bloggers see fit to give me awards. This forces me to love them forever and stalk them over various forms of social media. And yet, I still get awards. Go figure.
Over The Top
From: Lu at Jaded Perspective
From: Heather at The Adventures of Crazy Mum
From: Jennifer from The Psychobabble
From: Nic at My Bottle’s Up
I still need to say something about this one
I love awards. I really do. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (it has nothing to do with the Hot Peppermint Patty I’m drinking).
So when Heather, over at The Adventures of Crazy Mum told me she was giving me this award, it just made my day!
Here are the rules for receiving the award:
- Present this award to 7 others whose blogs you find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged you
- Tell those 7 people they’ve been awarded the HONEST SCRAP AWARD and inform them of these guidelines in receiving the award.
- Share “10 Honest Things” about yourself.
Here are “10 Honest Things” about myself
- I’m terrified of moths. I have no problem with butterflies. Yes, I know they’re essentially the same thing. But a moth in my house is cause for a complete freak out. (it’s funny to watch, trust me)
- I know how to cross stitch, and actually enjoy doing it. (don’t judge)
- I used to really like my nose, but ever since a training accident involving the top of my dogs very hard skull connecting with (and crushing) all the lower cartilage in my nose, it’s just not the same. I’ve even considered a nose job just to correct it because I am that vain. But then I’d end up getting lipo, and a boob lift, and maybe a bit of a neck lift, and, and, and, …. yeah, so I’m not getting my nose done. But I still blame the dog.
- I have held my daughter down while she screamed through all sorts of medical procedures. Even though I know they’re necessary, I makes me feel like an awful mom and I often wonder if it’ll effect her trust in me.
- I’ve never been on a cruise or to Europe. I really want to do both.
- I have, however, traveled past the Arctic Circle. I’d rather go on a cruise.
- I love the taste of kiwi’s but never eat them because the texture grosses me out.
- I prefer game meat to beef. A vegetarian I will never be.
- I’m honest to a fault. I will always tell people what I think. This has lost me friends. I can’t (wont) change who I am though. If you really don’t want to know how I feel, then don’t ask.
- I know I come across as a complete bitch some a lot most all the time. I know I’m intimidating to a lot of people. Really? My bark is worse than my bite.
Now to pass this on… I choose to torture honor:
- Colleen at Messponential. She amazes me how she stands by her convictions
- Lu of Jaded Perspective. I hope one day my writing is as raw and inspiring as hers.
- PsychMama. Because she understands what it is to have a daughter with developmental delays (and because, dude, you really need to update your blog. lol)
- Becky of Life out of Focus. I love watching her photography evolve as she does
- Ali of My Life With Them. Because she’s having a craptastic day, and I know getting this award made my day.
- Cara of Momma Says. Her stories about her kids make me snort out loud in a really unattractive way, but I still love her
- Kate of Tati Kate. I’m hoping I can learn sensitivity from her as I learn how to knit.
- Answer the questions below using only one word
- Thank the blogger who gave it to you
- Pass it on to 6 of your favorite bloggers
Now the questions:
- Where is your cell phone? couch
- Your hair? straight
- Your mother? interesting
- Your father? strict
- Your favorite food? pizza
- Your dream last night? didn’t
- Your favorite drink? wine
- Your dream/goal? royalty
- What room are you in? family
- Your hobby? scrapbooking (don’t judge)
- Your fear? drowning
- Where do you want to be in 6 years? retired (it’s the freedom 40 plan)
- Where were you last night? home (yeah, OK, I’m boring. Deal)
- Something you aren’t? skinny (and this smothered baked potato I’m eating isn’t helping that fact)
- Muffins? chocolate
- Wish list item? Ferrari
- Where did you grow up? Calgary
- Last thing you did? tweeted
- What are you wearing? clothes (sorry to disappoint)
- Your TV? big
- Your pets? several
- Your friends? geeks
- Your life? busy
- Your mood? happy
- Missing someone? Always
- Vehicle? truck (I am a redneck)
- Something you’re not wearing? socks
- Your favorite store? etsy
- Your favorite color? green
- When was the last time you laughed? morning
- Last time you cried? September
- Your best friend? Missy
- One place that I go over and over? bed
- One person who emails me regularly? mom
- Favorite place to eat? Castiron
Now for the fun part – this is where I torture my friends and force them to play along: